Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICs week October 17

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Hope both of you are doing okay, and you made it to CA, Barbara.

DH was very anxious when I visited him yesterday, and apparently spent the day calling for me, etc.  He also had bathroom issues, etc.  I visited him twice, and he was a bit better the second time.  But, I was nervous.

So, I went there this morning on my walk, and fed him breakfast.  Also talked to the hospice caregiver.  He had a major accident last night, and the poor caregiver had to change him, his bedding, mop the floor, you name it.  Hope that doesn't happen again.  I went back to feed him lunch, and he was doing better, but coughed a couple of times.  I'll be going later to feed him dinner.  I will not be able to visit him until tomorrow afternoon, so I hope he will be fine.

DD took my SIL to the regular doctor, and he gave him a muscle relaxant.  The good news is that he had lost more than 30 pounds, and his blood pressure is much lower.  They also got their flu shots.  DD is taking him to the massage therapist later today.

Hope both of you sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. I ordered a Linea cardigan on Lunchtime special.  Not a need for sure, but....

Respected Contributor

It's a great buy when you're able to get those cardis as a lunchtime special, Linda. I'm sorry DH was so anxious. That's always nervewracking.

Great news on your sil's weight loss. I hope the massage helps.

Barbara, I hope you reached CA with no problems.

I did my grocery shopping this morning then picked up a few other things after R's bowling. Took advantage of Wegman's loading the car. I stocked up on cat litter so had 5 21 pound containers. As it gets towards winter it's always wise to have a supply of pet food and cat litter.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon!  Sounds like a wise idea to stock up on pet food and cat litter when you have the chance, Claudia.  Hope you and R are feeling okay today, and your dogs are behaving.  

Also hope you are okay, Barbara.  Are you in northern CA? I heard it is very hot in southern CA, and it is supposed to make it into the 90's here today. 

DH was sort of okay yesterday when I went to feed him dinner, but I am still concerned about the cough and his anxiety.  Plan to discuss that with the hospice nurse this afternoon.  The "problem" caregiver told me he was talking about me a lot the night before last, and I hope it was just talk, not calling out for assistance.  Larry is doing better, not sure if it is due to medication or just a phase.  

I have my British mysteries class this afternoon, and I will try to go to my Caregivers group briefly before class.  I can only spend about half an hour there, but I really would like to attend.  After class, I'll go to visit DH.  

Took my walk this morning, and I plan to go to the gym in an hour or so.  I bought some Epsom salt yesterday, and I think I'll try soaking my tired feet this evening.  They are not seriously hurting, but a bit achy.

Hope both of you have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good morning...we are in Angels camp, ca..about 90 miles southeast of Sacramento.,there are a lot of vineyards so we will vivat some this afternoon..it is very pretty here. Will be 80  so perfect weather. Tomorrow we head to Big bear for 3 nights.

Sydnie has been invited to audition for the Joffrey tap intensive next summer. M thinks she is a little too young, but will consider it.

Linda...wonder if dhs anxiety is because he does not feel well???my mom always was worse when she was not feeling well.  That is great about sil losing weight. My very overweight niece has lost over 60 pounds on a medically supervised program.she has a ways to go go. Enjoy our book club and meeting this afternoon.

Claudia, Pepper eats only 1/2 cup of food a day. So a small bag lasts for a while. I can only imagine feeding your big guys. Hope all is well with you.

Enjoy your day.

Respected Contributor

LInda, I hope you get a chance to talk to the hospice nurse about your concerns. It sounds like another busy day for you.

Barbara, enjoy your afternoon. Perfect weather.

Whether or not Sydnie auditions it's a great honor.  She is so talented.

A 30 pound sack of dog food lasts the 3 boys anywhere from 8-10 days. Some days they hardly eat. Other days they gobble it down.

R has had a not so good day. He's been out of it and sleeping. He just woke up briefly and said I was up early. Told him no it was 4 pm. VA dental finally called and I have him scheduled for tomorrow afternoon for the tooth that cracked and broke off.

This morning we had lots of thunder and lightning along with a heavy downpour. I did t bother to go to the estate sale till the sun came out. No purchases. There were a few things I might have considered if I had the room and transport. Next week is another local sale. There was a high end one also today but it would have been an hour's drive one way.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Hope R was better today, and his dental work went okay, Claudia.  I ordered a smaller than normal size on the cardigan based on reviews, etc. Hope that works for me.  For some reason, I have trouble (psychological) ordering a size down, but no problem with ordering up.  I know some of the Linea items do run large, but not all.

Early this summer, I had ordered a Denim & Co. gauze top which is quite pretty, but it is very large on me.  I really could be many months pregnant and still have it fit.  I keep debating donating it, but so far I can't bring myself to do so.  Silly.

Hope you are enjoying CA, Barbara.  That is such a great honor for Syd, whether she takes it or not.

The hospice nurse was late, but we did go over several things.  DH was not coughing, and he seemed in a pretty good mood.  The same is true today.  I just don't know what is going on with him, but I will try to be more relaxed about it.  Hospice does not provide flu shots, so I asked, and the facility has an arrangement with a local pharmacy to come there to give them.  It was done in September, so I am hoping they will do so again.  

One of the other residents is with the same hospice (different nurse), and she is not really able to feed herself any more.  I ended up helping her a little with dinner last night since the caregivers were busy.  Today, a friend of hers fed her lunch.  She seems to be going downhill very fast, which is a shame.  

I had my decision-making class today, and then I met my work buddy for an early lunch.  Quite delicious spinach salad.  She told me that there is a new Dollar Tree in town, so I plan to go there this afternoon.  Wish we could get a Trader Joe's and Home Depot or Lowe's as well, but at least things are looking up in the stores department. 

Army DGS has Reserve duty this weekend, and it started today.  Oldest DGS drove him there, and DD was so happy because he texted her that he has a ride for the rest of the weekend, including this evening.  She may be able to go to youngest DGS last JV game on Sunday now.  My SIL and oldest DGS were already planning to attend.  She also found a nice skirt for DGD at Macy's -- with sales and DGS' discount, it was only $15 instead of $60!  

Hope both of you sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Your DD did great with the sales, Linda. What a relief she won't be spending much of the weekend chauffeuring DGS.

We're back from the VA and tired. It rained all day and was quite windy at the VA. They were able to rebuild R's tooth. His left arm is aching. Probably the rainy weather doesn't help.

Another overdraft from Adam's bank. The bank of mom is broke now after covering it. I really resent the bank fees. If he would only alert me to an unexpected expense it would help. I texted him and am hoping for an explanation. Right now there are funds to cover the student loan coming out next week. He was planning to open an account out there for his pay checks to be deposited into.

I know part of the reason it upsets me is because this time of year is expensive. We have property tax, car insurance, and homeowners insurance to pay along with the private campground membership  R opted for. That at least will be paid off in January as R went with 6 months interest free. We are considering selling it once it's paid for. With the return of R's prostate cancer and fatigue our situation has changed plus the house has to have things done starting with the kitchen.

I'm debating whether to cancel the red coat as it's on check hold.

On a better note, I received a text from my former partner. We hope to get together early next month. This time it should be a good number of us. About 6 of us former caseworkers and 2 or 3 clerical counterparts. R has a VA appointment later that day but there's time to meet up before we have to leave. Hard to believe it's been a year since 4 of us met for brunch.

I'm glad your DH's cough is better. It's very kind of you to help the other resident with her meal.

Barbara, I hope you and V are having a good time. Our highest temperature today was 50.

Respected Contributor

Greetings from Big bear lake, Ca. It was a long drive yesterday and we have to make stops so I can move. The last 25 miles were on a windy, narrow curvy mountain road...not my favorite to ride on. But we made it ad it is lovely.

amie was told that Kaylie, 10 is reading at a 12th grade level. I was impressed.syd has special parts in all of her line dances and is front and center...finally.

Claudia, sorry about you having to cover for Adam again. That makes it so difficult to budget when we are retired. Hope r is feeling better today.

Linda...good that dh is doing better. Nice that dd does not have to drive dgs to reserves.

it is chilly here..only 37 this morning. 

Enjoy ot your day.

Respected Contributor

Those narrow curvy mountain roads are not a favorite of mine either, Barbara. There were lots of them the year I taught in WV. Also Nanny Newfs where we got GN and TT is up a 4 mile one lane mountain road. In fact we picked up GN just as a blizzard was threatening. Glad you made it and are enjoying the area. Have you been there before?

Good for both Kaylie and Sydnie.

When I was out on errands earlier it was 39degrees here. Just a bit chilly.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Sounds cold in PA and CA, but that is not the case here in Arizona.  I think it was supposed to make it into the low 90's, but it may be slightly cooler.  I sometimes get car sick on those types of roads, Barbara.  And, I am usually badly frightening.  At least you made it okay.  I hope you enjoy your stay there.  That is great about Syd and Kaylie.  I remember that youngest DGS was very far advanced in math when he was in kindergarten or so.  He still is loving math, so I guess it is just his gift.  Not at all true of this Grandmother.

So sorry about your needing to help Adam so much financially, Claudia.  I remember when DD had both overdraft fees and credit card fees that I ended up paying -- really burned me up.  Not just the debt, but the unnecessary fees.  I can't remember how she got out of the problem except she no longer has credit cards.  Glad they were able to fit R's teeth, and you have a get-together with your former co-workers next week.  Sounds like fun.

I took part in the Walk to End Alzheimer's this morning, and it was fun. I spent most of the walk talking with the director of Adult Day Services.  But, the hospice nurse was there (first aid station) as was the director of the facility where DH is now, and several other people I know.  Really happy that DH's DD donated as well as me -- really hope that a cure can be found for that horrible disease.  

DH was a little anxious when I visited him, but he seemed better after lunch.  I'll go back to feed him dinner.  

Hope both of you sleep well and keep warm.

Hugs,

Linda