Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of November 15

Hope Amie has a wonderful trip to Scotland, Barbara.  I'm hoping to return to England and Scotland some day -- I have only been once with my ex.  But, I know DH will probably not be able to travel.  

I was pretty livid about the driver's license problem, Claudia.  In fact, I told DD that she might get a call since I was about to lose it.  Really wish that getting a driver's license wasn't such a hassle here.  Funny thing -- when I got my license the first time, it was very easy.  They gave me a form to take to the eye doctor, I brought it back, and got the license.  Not a huge wait, etc.

My cold seems to be worse, so I'm trying to baby myself as much as possible.  Not too possible, but.....  DH goes to the doctor this afternoon, and I have my last OLLI class.  Soup is cooking away in the crockpot.

If you have the chance Barbara, please look at the other thread from yesterday -- twinny had a question for you about your experience with your port.

Hope both of you have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Played bridge this morning. It is a fun group. I had good to terrible cards.

ms car has been totaled...so she was upset about finding time to but a new car. I helped her through true are.com so she has some quotes. Think she is afraid to do it alone....but she will have to.

linda..hope your cold does not get too bad. It has been chilly here. Enjoy your class..will check the other thread.

more later.

Respected Contributor

I hope the dr's appt. went well, Linda and you were able to get some answers to your questions.

Adam turned up last night to wash some clothes plus brought a table they'd made during active reserve 2011 in CA with all their signatures. Need to switch things around to make room for it. No one else could take it so.... At least it's not a puppy or kitten.

I'm sure with some coaching M will do just fine, Barbara.

Whit called Sil had a Va physical and cholesterol is up and he's pre diabetes. He always prided himself on having no problems so is quite upset. He is constantly drinking Mt Dew then has orange juice before bed s he'll need to make some adjustments.

I have Griff scheduled for grooming tomorrow after the mini pies arrive and I take R to and from the retirees breakfast.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning!  Hope your SIL changes his unhealthy habits, Claudia.  It always seems to be a struggle getting these types of message through to men.  They can be in denial and refuse to see a doctor, etc.  Good luck with your errands today, and I hope you like the mini pies.  I will be making pecan pies for the church Thanksgiving lunch, but I'll probably make a pumpkin pie for us.  I don't like the crust, but love pumpkin filling.

Hope M does okay with her car selection, Barbara.  In a way, I'm glad her car was declared totaled. I get worried about the safety of cars that have been through accidents.  

My cold seems worse rather than better, and I think DH has a cold as well.  Not fun.   I did buy some more medicine yesterday.

The doctor was very sympathetic, and he suggested physical therapy for DH.  Unfortunately, the therapist he recommended is busy until January, and does not take our insurance.  The one I used after my accident doesn't take people with neurological issues.  I found one that does -- actually part of the complex where the senior lunch program, day services, etc. is located.  I'll need to take in his prescription to get an appointment -- earliest mid-December.  The doctor also suggested that I look into hospice.  I still am unsure that they would take him on since he is otherwise so healthy, but I will think about getting an evaluation.  The doctor said that I should do so if caregiving was getting too much for me.  

DD texted me this morning -- my SIL has had radical blood pressure spikes since he went off his anti-anxiety medicine, and he feels lousy.  She finally got him a doctor's appointment for later this morning.  Army DGS has weapons training in NJ this weekend, and oldest DGS drove him to Reserves so that he can get the bus there.  Youngest DGS received an invitation to go to one of the colleges (NC?) to compete for a scholarship (could be half up to full tuition) in January.  It sounds like an interview situation.  Anyway, he is pretty thrilled to have the opportunity.  I am hoping the closer school will do something similar, but this is good.

DH and I'll be going to the hospital tour this morning, and I may try to go to COSTCO after.  This depends on how late the tour goes and how I feel.

Hope both of you have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good morning...I have a pedicure in a little while. Nothing else on the agenda except the usual maintenance things. 

I am am having my house cleaners on Monday....decided to give myself a treat.

linda...glad the dr recommended pt...was a little surprised about hospice but it might not hurt to check it out. In my experience with my mom,mthey provided excellent care and support.  There is also minimal to no fee.  

Nice that hat dgs got invited to that school. Sorry your sil is having bp issues but that is not uncommon she one quits a drug, I think.  I bought a small pumpkin pie for v and put it in the freezer. 

Claudia..hope your sil quits his bad habits..easier said than done. Mountain Dew is quite addictive.  

Amie is going to get her principals license....she will be excellent down the road. She is very excited about Scotlandthey leave tomorrow.

Have a good day. Should be in the upper 70s today.

Respected Contributor

Barbara, I think Princes Street Gardens has some kind of illumination this time of year.. Lots of good places to eat on Rose St a few blocks from The George Hotel.

Hospice care can be palliative care for chronically ill, terminally ill, or seriously ill, Linda. It might be worth seeing what they can offer.

R suggested going out for Thanksgiving and I gadly took him up on it.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning!  It is nice and sunny here, and it should get pretty warm (70's).  But, they are talking about wind.  Sometimes windy weather can feel cooler/colder.  DH and I are still suffering from colds, and I am certainly ready for them to be gone.  I know that it takes time, but....  

Hope Amie will enjoy Scotland, Barbara.  Interesting that she is thinking of following in your footsteps (principal).  I'm sure she would make a good one.

Nice that R suggested going out for Thanksgiving dinner, Claudia.  As I probably mentioned, we are going to a luncheon at my church, and I'll be bringing pies (probably pecan).  Don't know why, but I bought a turkey breast the other day, and we will probably eat it tonight or tomorrow night depending on how long it takes to defrost.  We do eat turkey fairly often, and I guess I just got into the spirit.  LOL

The hospital tour was interesting, and we ran into one of our friends at the lunch area.  There was as blues band playing there (first time, according to the tour guide), and his brother-in-law was one of the band members.

Made an appointment for DH's physical therapy on my birthday (coincidence) morning.  This conflicts with strong bones, but I think I have someone lined up to lead the class that day.

I think my SIL did okay after the doctor prescribed a blood pressure medicine.  He wasn't having anxiety problems, but his blood pressure was wildly going up and down.  Army DGS got off to weapons training, and oldest DGS got his first payment from Macy's.  So, I guess things are going pretty well there, all things considered.

By the time we got home from the hospital tour, I felt it was too late to drive up to COSTCO, and I was a bit worn out.  So, I went to the gym, and then to the 99 cent store for a little produce.  The trucks come on M-W-F, so it is pretty important to get there on those days.  Otherwise, the produce bins can be pretty empty.  I plan to go to Fry's today to pick up a bit more sale produce, and maybe a few other things (like eggs).  And, I will be doing my usual laundry and financial review. Not exactly exciting, but....

Hope both of you have a nice Saturday.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

I just returned from a lengthy choir practice....so my voice is a little tired.  I want to bake some cookies for syd and freeze them

v did laundry for me...still need to change the bed. 

Your hospital tour tour sounded interesting , linda...I have never gotten produce from the dollar tore  I usually shop for that at Frys. Hope the pt works out for dh..glad things are good with dds family,

claudia.  Hope your day is going well. I am cooking a lot for t day.

Ms car was totaled so she is car shopping today.

have a good one

Respected Contributor

I drove Adam up to his VA appt today then took R bowling as he wanted to practice. Scores weren't great though. Meanwhile the fridge is not cooling again and of course it's the weekend. Arghh.

I was surprised sil wasn't given meds for the cholesterol and diet advice. Instead he was told to reduce stress or he'd be dead before 40. Whit has decided to try to finish the semester but not enroll for spring and still has not been able to contact her VA education counselor. PT is not an option as the reimbursement/living expenses would be so much less.

Meanwhile someone complained about Griff barking. There's only 1 time he barked continuously for a period of time(10 minutes tops. usually it's only a couple minutes) was when R put him out and then headed for the bathroom so we've been watching him like a hawk and luring him in. I've also started a list of when he is out and if there's barking and how long. $600 fine- yikes.

All in all not the greatest day.