Respected Contributor

REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of May 29

Good morning. It remains cool and cloudy but the sun is to come out. That would be good because Syd still has not planted her little garden

My washing machine quit working yesterday in the middle of doing several loads. So off I trekked to a laundromat which was very pricey. I called our service plan and the earliest

they could get here is June 7. Arghh. We go to amies this weekend so I am going to ask her if I can do some laundry there.

i am making ribs today..v got the grill together. I bake them in the oven and they only grill for a short time.

Linda..hope you got your walk in and that. The caregiver showed up so you can go to church.

claudia..hope r is ok and the doggies are behaving. Pepper has Ben very nippy so we are really working with her on that. I read that mini schnauzers tend to be nippy as puppies.

i will be back.

Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of May 29

Sorry our washing machine is uncooperative, Barbara. Last time I had to use the laundromat I was shocked at the cost. Arghhh indeed. I hope to get R to Lowe's the first of the week to look at refrigerators. My mind is all befuddled after checking reviews online for various brands. He'll qualify for his veterans discount.

I just made macaroni salad and put it in the fridge which so far is behaving temperature wise though I mopped up some water below the bottom drawer.

TT started carrying on at 4this morning. After crating Griff I went back to bed for a couple hours.

Linda, I hope your day is going well so far. We still have hot humid temperatures here even though it rained overnight.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry to hear about your washing machine, Barbara.  I just go to the laundromat to wash my quilt, and it is very expensive indeed.  It is a shame you have to wait so long for repairs.  Good idea to do laundry at Amie's.  Hope your weather improves and the ribs are good.  Also hope you can break Pepper of the "nippy" habit.  

Yes, the caregiver was on time, and I made it to church and gym just fine.  DH and I took a short walk yesterday, and then I spent some time walking/marching in place to reach my "step goal".  Crazy, I know.  He did not get up last night, but he ended up wetting the bed, etc.  So, I washed the sheets, etc., right after I got him out of bed.  The caregiver said he did a bunch of wandering around, and he was in bed the two times I came home.  It bothers me that he seems to be deteriorating so fast, but.....

Glad the refrigerator is holding out for now, Claudia.  Good luck in finding one you like at a discount.  It is very difficult to find highly rated appliances that are at all reasonable in price.  Even some that are high priced don't get good ratings.  Sorry TT woke you up so early, but glad you were able to get back to sleep.

Hope both of you have a  nice evening!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

I'm thankful for the sleep mask i got from Magellans. It allows for rem eye movement.

R thought of having me drive him down to check out the muzzleloader rendezvous but had more pain than anticipated this weekend.

Respected Contributor

It is Memorial Day.   All of our family graves are in Chicago or the southwestern part of this state so we cannot do any remembrance flowers. Nothing planned for today. M and Syd have a graduation open house to attend this afternoon. 

We we are expecting more rain next week. The garage and driveway are very dirty..want to hose the garage out but not when it is raining. 

Linda..glad you got to church...do you kep dh in depends at night??? As I have said many times..I do not think I could do what you do with him. 

Claudia...those sleep masks are wonderful..I use them when I travel.

i will check back later.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon!  No graves of my relatives around here for sure, but I am thinking of those who passed like you are, Barbara.  One good thing about my parents being buried in Arlington is that I do see pictures of the cemetery fairly regularly.  They are in the columbarium, but a couple of my uncles are buried there.

Sorry about the mud and rain prediction.  I don't think we are expecting any rain this week, but it should get very hot (like 100 plus) by next weekend.  DH and I went for a walk this morning, and it was already pretty warm by 8:00 or so.  We used to walk earlier, but it is difficult to get him up and ready to walk that early these days.  

Yes, I put Depends on him at night, but last night I used double (two).  After all, he was okay -- got up around 4:00, and no bed wetting.  More mess last night and this morning, but at least not in the bed.  I'm getting better on how to handle messes these days.  I am wearing disposable gloves, etc., and I use a ton of wipes, etc.  It is great that hospice provides them to me so I don't have to spend all the money it would take to keep us in wipes and Depends.  To be honest, I'm not sure how much longer I can handle this "extreme" caregiving, but I'll try.

Hope Syd and M have a good time today.  I have no definite plans except for continuing to de-clutter and do some exercise.

I was pretty excited reading about the sleep mask you bought from Magellan's, Claudia, so I went ahead and ordered one last night.  I am trying not to overbuy, but helping me sleep is very important.  Sorry R is in pain, but I'm not surprised that he is.   Hope your dogs are behaving, and you have found a new refrigerator.  Any news from Adam and Whit?  I hope Adam is settling in well, and has found a job.

My nephew's wife posted pictures of a family gathering at her house on FB -- my SIL, three nephews, and their two wives, along with the star of the show -- my great nephew.  He is such a cute guy.  

Have a nice holiday!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Linda, I think that the trip and respite care might help you make a decision.,this has to be terribly hard on you physically and emotionally. You will do what your heart and soul tell you to do.

Thanks to your dgs fo serving. I had uncles who served in ww2. My dad could not because of his health issues. My youngest brother was in the navy..he was an -Annapolis grad and flew f14s. V was in the army. And his brother served in Vietnam.

i hope your day goes well.

Respected Contributor

Fingers crossed for that sleep mask, Linda. It's the only type of mask I can use. I bet your gt nephew is adorable.

I heard from Adam last week. Whit still needs to finish up his resume. No job yet. I am trying not to nag. He does have a reserve unit out of Kansas City, KS and will have a 4 hour drive. He said she did well on her finals.

The "extreme caregiving" does take a tremendous toll. Thank heavens the Depends and wipes are a covered expense. DH is very fortunate to have you. Not many caregivers would be able to keep him at home this long.

TT does seem to be settling down. No 4 AM wakeup. I hope he continues to behave.

Dad was in the Army Air Corps. Spent some time with the RAF in Canada then down in FL at Ft. Myers. R of course was in the Marines ( Vietnam then his 2nd hitch embassy duty in Tehran with Richard Helms as ambassador). Add 10 years in the Army Reserve. I have a photo of my maternal grandfather in Navy uniform but a stone marker in a local park has him listed as Army. Whit of course was Navy and Adam Army. R's father was in WW2 but I have no idea what branch of service.

Despite the forecast the long weekend was mostly sunny. Amazingly R listened to the doctor and skipped his muzzleloader rendezvous.

Respected Contributor

Too bad the rain can't wash all the mud away from the garage and driveway, Barbara.

I haven't accomplished much today. I ordered some shoes off Hotter's US website. They emailed an offer of 30% off plus free shipping but on retailmenot I found an offer of 40% off and free shipping. It said applied to next order which confused some but it worked. Also got 3% off through mrrebates.

Respected Contributor

Good morning. I had to go to Target for some gift cards and cards. I feel like the tin man today so will be sitting a bit. V is off playing bridge so it is just Pepper and I . She did nort sleep at all during the day for the last 3 days so I am hoping with the dark, dreary day she will snooze a bit.

tomorrow we will go to the laundromat. Sydnie needs underwear...she uses at least 2 pairs a day. V will go with me . We will still take a couple of loads up to amies.this is a pain to say the least.

Claudia, hope Adam finds a job soon.you had a lot of family in the military. Hope tt remains good for you.

Linda, hope your night went well and your volunteer job goes well also.,Phoenix may reach 110 by the weekend. That is hot.

i will check back later.