Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of January 31

Glad Syd is willing to wait, Barbara.  I am sure it is fun seeing the pictures.  All three of my dogs weighed less than 15 pounds, but one was pretty close to that size.  My Mom's dog was heavier, however.   I certainly can relate about the refrigerator size.  I would really like to have a larger one, but I need to wait until this one breaks again and see how large I can buy for the space.  Your brothers must really enjoy hiking.  It got warmer here today, and I think it should be nice this weekend.

Sorry to hear about Whit, Claudia.  I think M, my DD, and Whit all have the same sort of luck (unlucky).  Oh well.....  That is a pretty good age for a large dog -- 14 years.  Hope that TT lives long and well.

The caregiver gave DH the washcloth for his eyes this morning, and it was better.  But, he still had some issues so I gave him the eyedrops again.  

The husband of one of the ladies in my caregivers group passed away yesterday.  She had just put him into assisted living in late October, and apparently he was doing pretty well on Wednesday morning when the caregiver came.  But, he had problems after dinner.  I'm sad for Doris -- very nice lady.  He had been in hospice for two years or so.

The nurse was late yesterday (due to the death of Doris' husband his schedule was off), but his visit went well.  We discussed nursing facilities in the area, and he suggested consulting him before making any moves.  The caregiver also had some ideas on the subject.  Both of them told me that some of the local places are really not very good -- insufficient staff with high turnover since they are not treated or paid well.  Yikes!  As the nurse pointed out -- almost all of these places are "for profit", and they try to get the most money for the least expenditure.

DH did fine at day services today, and I took my walk, went to my gender studies class, the post office, and the gym before I picked up DH.  We stopped by the packed grocery store to pick up a few necessities.  The post office was also packed.

DD said that they were having snow, but I don't think it was bad.  DGS has pretty much decided on the college in VA, so I don't think they will be going to visit the expensive school in PA.  Hope he likes the school if he does go there.  I think his current thoughts are to major in math and computer science.  But, given all the changes oldest DGS has gone through, I'm not counting on it.

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

They do seem to have the same sort of luck, Linda. That is too bad about your friend's husband, Linda. With our assisted living there is a physical. Later if needed you can get hospice care while there. Mother's situation was such that after 3-4 years she needed the nursing home care. Her assisted living and nursing home was run by the county and non profit. That I felt was better than some of the "for profits". The home had it's start from funds left by a man who struck it rich in the PA oilfields in the 1800's. My main complaint about the home was the mess their office was- lost a sizeable long term care check we sent them.

I hope DGS likes the school he chooses.

Respected Contributor

My family is off hiking. My other sil arrived last night. We are going out to lunch and have a dinner theatre tonight. I made right bs last night that were really good. Yum

lots of drama at dance last night. The dance mom is claiming that all of syds special moves will be I. Her daughters dance, her d is the best tapper in the age group...she is going to win and on and on. M was very upset and I guess word has gotten to the owners so will what will be done. Syd was in tears. I am ready to tear that mother apart next time I am there, which I could do very successfully....but I will refrain. My sil whose daughter danced said it is time to find a new studio. Yikes

suds best friend is getting a puppy also. So soon it will be kids and dogs at the house.

we are having a small super bowl party tomorrow....nothing too fancy.

Linda, that was good info you got on nursing homes. It is great that you can get the inside scoop.

Claudia...hope your day is going well

enjoy

Respected Contributor

Oh my. Definitely time to find a new studio, Barbara. So much drama isn't good for anyone. Enjoy the lunch and then the dinner theatre. I have corned beef in the crockpot for tonight. We may or may not watch tomorrow's Superbowl. I'm not feeling good today so am trying to take it easy. Tomorrow I will work on Adam's taxes. The kittens are racing around upstairs. Such noisy littlest. The new Italian foods and market is opening Sunday for pickups for their Superbowl special. Too much food for the 3 of us though. 1 large stromboli, 2 large subs, pepperoni balls, and I forget what else. If it were half that I'd be tempted.
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry you aren't feeling well, Claudia.  Do take it easy.  Sounds like quite a Superbowl special.  Way too much for two or three people.  I will probably watch some of the Superbowl tomorrow, but if there is a conflict with Downton Abbey, there is no contest.  LOL   That nursing home sounds good, Claudia, except for the extremely messy office.  How awful that they lost the check.

Sounds like you are having fun, Barbara.  That is such a shame about the dance studio, but I guess it is time for a change.  Poor Syd.  

Nice here today -- warmer, even in the morning.  I am doing my regular Saturday chores -- laundry and financial review.  I walked to the mailbox earlier, and ended up walking further so I was gone for about an hour.  I think DH was okay, and we will walk together after lunch.

Hope you feel better, and both of you have a nice evening!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

A fairly quiet day here. R just left to sight in a pistol and flintlock. I took the garbage bins out front and just need to do the cat litter. I went out earlier to WM for a few things. One of which was a small mailer. Amazon is offering money for my older Kindle along with $20 off a new one. I have considered getting the Paperwhite for reading. The older Kindle I don't use, the "home" button needed several pushes to take me to the "home" screen. I read on my my Fire but the battery doesn't last as long as I'd like. For travelling, I'd use the Fire as a tablet and the paperwhite for reading. Together they would weigh less than my old netbook.

Esteemed Contributor

Hope you like your new Kindle, Claudia.  I have a paperwhite type, and I do enjoy using it.  For travel, I usually take our iPad for a computer -- it is a considerably older version, but it does seem to work.  I don't like carrying a laptop any more, and the iPad is fine.  If it becomes an issue, I guess I'll buy a tablet to replace it.  Fingers crossed that doesn't happen any time soon.

Hope R has a good time, and doesn't  get too cold or hurt himself.  We had a problem when we returned to the car after a brief grocery run this afternoon.  I couldn't open the passenger door since a large truck parked next to me (over the line and too close).  I had to put DH in the back seat, and it was quite difficult.  And, he hit his head.  Fortunately, not too hard.

Imagine Barbara is having fun, I certainly hope so.

Have a nice evening!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

What a time you must have had helping DH into the back seat and then getting him back out, Linda. We're having pizza tonight. So far the game isn't on.

A certain large grey kitten, Zeus to be exact, ended up in a tub full of water this morning. He was walking the rim of the claw foot tub and lost his balance.. Zeus was not pleased.

I ordered some olive oil from Saratoga Olice Oil Co. Also some sea salt- a Hawaiian blend. They had free shipping for over $30. I ordered from them a couple years ago and was pleased.

Enjoy your party, Barbara.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon!  That olive oil sounds nice, Claudia.  

I'm off to my bookclub in a couple of minutes.  The caregiver is here early, which is nice.  DH spilled his smoothie first thing this morning, which resulted in an early clean-up laundry load.  The caregiver gave him his bath, etc., and the chaplain and I talked for a while.

DGD finished up her high school (home school) last Friday, so now she is relaxing a bit.  I think she will be taking some fun classes like flower arranging and cake decorating this spring.

DD said they are expecting a bunch more snow tomorrow, and the old snow is still a problem.  Not fun.

Hope you are having a good time, Barbara, and both of you have a nice evening.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

I have not had a lot of free time. But I am having a great visit. My middle brother and his wife went back today. We did fun trip to Scottsdale and had a yummy lunch. Supper will be something light.

after they leave tomorrow I need to get ready for Amies visit. Next week I can relax 😊

Linda, it must have tough to get dh in the back seat. Have you thought of getting one of those portable hand holds???

M is waiting to see what the dance drama is this week. Arghhhh.

Claudia, poor kitty. Are you having any snow today.

Enjoy your day.