Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of August 21

Good Evening!  Glad you figured out that about your medicine, Barbara.  Interesting story -- one of the ladies in my caregiving group took her husband on a trip to Alaska (it was with relatives/friends, but still a challenge).  Anyway, one day or evening she took his pills instead of hers.  Her reaction to his pills was so bad that she ended up in the ER the whole day.  He was off fishing, and she never told him what had happened.  

I have had small dogs who were equally sneaky, Barbara.  Pretty wild.  Glad Syd enjoyed going to the orientation.  

Also glad you are happy with the education plan, Claudia.  But, the lack of contact must be horrible.  Sounds like you got a lot of work done there -- good for you.

I keep thinking how Whit and my DD seem to have the same kind of luck.  I remember well when oldest DGS suddenly needed an "extra" $1,300 for his knee surgery.  Just awful.

Speaking of grands, the youngest guy was injured in football practice -- dislocated shoulder.  Fortunately, they could get the shoulder back in place, and they had him go to rehab yesterday.  Today he was back doing some of the practice.  I think he is enjoying his time at college.  Meanwhile, DD told me that many of DGD's fellow students are adults -- DD's age or older.  Of course, there are some young ones, but I feel bad for her being only 16 and in class with mature adults.  Hopefully, she will adapt.  DD is trying to convince her to get some shoes -- all she wants to wear is boots.

I fell in love with the Linea faux suede anorak, but restrained myself from ordering.  Of course, there were several other tempting items, but that was my love.

My volunteer job went well as did the gym.  DH was napping on his recliner when I went to visit.  We did walk around a couple of times, but I could tell he was pretty sleepy -- kept nodding off.  I'm not sure when I will see him tomorrow since I am going on the lunch trip.  It is possible that I could go early, but I seem to have trouble getting myself together early in the day.

Hope both of you sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda 

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon!  Need to get ready for my luncheon trip, but I thought I would post before doing so.

I decided to go to the facility early today since the hospice caregiver comes on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to give DH his shower, etc.  I had not seen her for more than a month, and really wanted to do so.  When I arrived, DH was sitting at the breakfast table, and the caregiver had taken a break from feeding him to help someone else.  So, I fed him breakfast -- oatmeal, which he always dislikes, but said was fine.  

He has changed opinions on several things lately.  He always wore a baseball hat, and he had a vast collection of them.  Now, he does not want to do so.  Go figure.  Anyway, the caregiver came, and we had a nice chat.  Such a nice lady.  A caregiver there told her that DH needed to have regular "chucks" for the bed -- cloth, washable ones -- rather than the hospice provided disposables.  They showed me what he needed, and I was going to try to find them on Amazon or at the pharmacy.  But, then I found out that I could get them through a medical supply house that delivers there.  So, I ordered two (one when the other was wet), and they should be delivered this afternoon.  Wednesday turned out to be their regular delivery day.  Win, win.

I talked to the director briefly, and he said that DH seems to be adjusting extremely well.  I am very grateful that he doesn't ask to go home or anything.  The best I could hope for.  He is such a sweet man. 

Hope both of you (Claudia and Barbara) are feeling okay and have a nice day as do all of our posters and readers.

Hugs,

Linda.

Respected Contributor

Enjoy your lunch trip, Linda. I find it difficult to get my act together in the mornings too. You did well getting over to see DH and talk with staff before your trip. It really is a blessing DH is adjusting so well. Mother often changed her likes and dislikes. The first month of assisted living was awful as she wanted to go home or switch assisted living places. She was at the point where she couldn't stay safe in her home and when she had good days she realized it.

I must admit to ordering the anorak in blue grey. Maybe I won't like it when it arrives. Ha- not likely.

I finished the lawn then went to the post office and Adam's bank before stopping at Aldi's.

Somehow Whit and your DD must be related. Definitely the same kind of luck.

I hope DGS's shoulder heals well. It is so painful. Adam dealt with it twice.

Someday Jamie will find out his grandparents are family plus his birth mother and may be very upset.

Respected Contributor

Linda...that is too bad that dgd got injured . Glad it was an easy fix and hopefully he will do fine. When v3  coached college football, he said injuries with the incoming freshmen were comm on until they learned how to handle themselves. They sometimes try too hard to impress the coaches. Hope dgd does fine with the adults...v David his classes were about half and half when he taught.  It is so good that dh is doing so well. I am surprised that they would not want to use disposable chux. I hoe you enjoyed your lunch trip today.

Claudia..that so sad that your sister cut off all family contact. He will find out someday. That is a very rigorous curriculum that is planned for him. Good for ordering the anorak...I had second thoughts and cancelled it.

i have been busy today trying to get ready to go tomorrow.  We are not gone for that long but it still requires some planning.,it will be cooler up north so long pants and a sweatshirt. 

I will ill post as I can... We have free wifi everywhere if not I have 4g going. 

Sleep well.

Respected Contributor

Sometimes the shorter trips require the most organizing, Barbara.

I'm up because Whit called after 11 forgetting we go  to bed earlier plus the time change. Adam missed his intake appointment at the VA today and didn't reschedule despite her reminding him. Arghhh. Also not applying for jobs at $11-12 holding out for more. Of course he hasn't applied for those either. So she's going to try to persuade him to apply for the lower paying job just to get back in the workforce. Meanwhile R will call the VA there and reschedule his ptsd intake. Hopefully he gets to reserve this weekend..

After all that I couldn't go back to sleep. I sure wish I could turn off worrying because it doesn't do any good.

The lace up tunic arrived today and fits.

I was hoping to check an estate sale out today. That depends on how much sleep I get.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry you had such an upsetting late-night call, Claudia.  Although I am usually up at 11:00 p.m., a phone call would be most startling.  In fact, a call after 8:00 p.m. can set me off, and those are just those nuisance calls.  

I do hope that Adam gets to Reserves, gets the treatment he needs, and finds a job.  I remember my ex not wanting to take a low-paying job, and that put a lot of burden on me to help us make ends meet.  Glad the tunic fits, and I hope you love the anorak.  I didn't go so far as to pick out a color since I was trying to resist buying one.  But, I may still capitulate in time.  So nice!  Hope you are awake enough to go to the estate sale, but you may well be too tired.

Hope your trip is off to a good start, Barbara.  I think DGS was back to practice again yesterday.  I would not be surprised if he was trying to impress the coaches -- he really loves football.  The caregiver said that the disposable chucks made it difficult to move DH -- I guess he moves around and pees a lot at night and they need to move him.  He is also very afraid of falling, and I think they were moving around.  Don't know why they did not put them under the sheets like I did, but maybe it had to do with the moving thing.  

DD told me that they are giving up the gym -- at least as a family.  DD and DGD liked taking classes, but the classes required them to pay extra fees.  They are able to take classes through the county that are less expensive.  Apparently, they have already signed up for several.  Meanwhile, the one guy is off at college, and the Army guy can use the gym on a base not too far away.  Oldest DGS still needs to have a gym, but she told him to get an individual membership and pay himself.  Naturally, he is resisting, but that is just part of growing up.  He is still working at Macy's and doing his volunteer coaching at a high school (not the high school they attended, but not too far away.)

The lunch was good, except my  main course (steak, mashed potatoes, and squash) was cold.  Maybe not iced cold, but....  Anyway, another lady and I asked for our meals to be heated up, and they took them away and returned much warmer.  They did not have a microwave, so this was not a fast process.  The food tasted great, and I think everyone was stuffed.  I didn't realize that the bistro was part of an "art institute" which turned out to be a school where they teach various things like cuisine, fashion design, etc.

I stopped by and visited DH for a little while after I got back, and I went to the pool.  Quite a few people pool walking, so I had to make my laps a bit shorter than normal.  That was okay.

Sleeping is still an issue, but I am working on it.  There always seems to be something to worry about in the middle of the night.  I have started taking down breakable things and packing them away for when the painter comes.  Hopefully, I'll finish the living room and dining room before he starts on Monday.

Hope you are able to take it easy today, Claudia, and you are having fun, Barbara.  

Hugs to all of our posters and readers,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Dropping the family membership sees like a good decision, Linda.

I think I ended up getting 2 hours sleep. It was raining this morning but we did drive out to the estate sale. R got a Clinton's or maybe it's a muzzleloader for half the price he was willing to pay. I passed on the dresser. It was priced more than I wanted to pay.

Respected Contributor

Adam called while I was still posting on the tablet. That's why I ended the post abruptly.

The dresser wasn't quite what I wanted but if the price was lower I probably would have bought it.

That's unfortunate your lunch was served cold and you had to send it back to be heated.

I'm a great one for middle of the night worrying. Once I was awake the worrying began. Oh to have a magic wand. 

Barbara, have a great time.

Respected Contributor

I just lost my post.  Syd had a great time at the rail road museum where she was able to climb into and through any trains. We also saw the replica of Lincolnshire funeral car. We visited the long pier and had dinner at the famous Grandmas restaurant.  We are going up the north shore to Thunder Bay today.

I am not having a good time with all of the walking..told v I am ready to consider a scooter.

Clausia, sorry about Adam...it is hard when adult children make bad decisions. It took m a very long time to realize what she needed to do. 

Linda..hope you find the furniture you need for dh. The chux make sense now. Smart for dd to quit the gym...good for for making dgd pay his own.Your lunch sounded very nice.

i am going yo post and see if it works.  Have a good day

Esteemed Contributor

Two hours of sleep would do me in, Claudia.  Hope last night was better.  Sorry the dresser did not work out.  Good for R finding such a bargain.  Hope things are improving with Adam.

Sorry walking is an issue, Barbara.  Hope you get a scooter if you need one.  I saw the pictures on FB, and Syd looks so tall.  Wow -- these kids are "growing like weeds" as my Mom used to say.  (It is true of DH's granddaughters as well).  Glad you are in such a pretty area.

I found a desk yesterday at the consignment shop on the "campus" where the adult day services and senior lunch program are held.  Their portion of the proceeds (40%) goes to their foundation.  I found out this information when the desk was delivered.  It was not exactly what I was looking for, but it is very nice.  I hoped to find a small wood desk (ideally teak) to match the printer table (re-purposed "server") that I found there last week.  But, when I walked in, and a lady asked what I was looking for, they took me straight to this desk instead.  It is very modern -- black metal and tempered black top.  In perfect shape as far as I can tell.  They are very picky about items they will accept.  The desk was $125, and delivery was $30.  That is much less than a new one, and nicer than the new ones I saw.  It has a couple of drawers as well, so now I can put papers away for a change.  

After I purchased the desk, I went to the thrift shop (found nothing), visited DH, and then went to the gym.  DH was doing well, and we walked around several times and outside once.  Still pretty hot here, but....  Anyway, I had to leave the gym before I finished my workout to make it home for the desk delivery, and that was nice -- volunteer delivery guy had it in an antique truck.  Super nice guy.

The hospice social worker had called while I was out, and said she was there when DH was eating lunch (we must have just passed each other), and I could call her anytime.  She thought DH was doing well.

After the delivery was accomplished, I went back to the gym and finished up.  Then, I stopped by to visit DH, and the hospice nurse came.  We discussed several little things, and then I fed DH his dinner.  Those caregivers are really busy -- they make some delicious looking meals, etc., plus take care of people who need a good deal of care.  Not a job for the weak.

I will probably go to COSTCO today -- I have not been in ages, and I need a few things.  Mostly non-food items.  I am amazed at how long food lasts these days.  But, I love fresh fruits and vegetables, so I'll probably buy some today (not at COSTCO because they sell in bulk).

Pretty proud of my efforts to remove some of the breakables in the living room and dining room before the painter comes.  Sure hope he comes as planned on Monday.

Have a nice day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda