Honored Contributor

Question on the D & Co TSV slim jeans

My question is--do the colored jeans, including the black, have a funny smell? I stopped buying clothes in general, but jeans especially, because of the smell on a few pairs of brown and black jeans. Could not get the smell out to save my soul. I don't remember the denims smelling so nasty.  I ordered the lighter denim and then the black twill. I guess we'll see.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Question on the D & Co TSV slim jeans

I actually do understand what you are saying.  I don't know particularly about thise jeans you are referring to, but I have had this experience with certain fabrics and dyes in the past.  My mom even had a dress once (not from QVC) that she had to stop wearing due to the odor of the brown dye.  All I could suggest is try and see.  But it is true that certain dyes in combination with certain fabrics( particularly brown) have this problem.  (And it occurs in other manufactureres, too, not just QVC)

Honored Contributor

I'd be interested to know this too because I've had the same problem.  I have the issue with real dark indigo and black.  I have a pair of DG black bootcut jeggings and I could never get the smell out of them.  I never wear them because of that.  I've washed with vinegar, I've hung them out, I've Febreezed them, I've Downy wrinkle released them.  They are horrendous.  

Honored Contributor

It has to either be the dye or something that they use on the fabric - pesticide?  I don't know.  But that smell is horrendous. 

Trusted Contributor

I think it's the dye.  It smells like petroleum.  I have stopped buying dark colored jeans from QVC.  You're right about not being able to wash out the smell.  I thought QVC was all about quality control.  Surely, someone could have smelled that at some point during processing the orders.  LAWDY, LAWDY, LAWDY!

Occasional Contributor

I know the smell you're referring to, it's awful!  I've returned several items recently because of that smell.  I kept one pair of pants to see if multiple washings would take care of it and after about five washings it's still there just not as strong.  I have three pairs of the TSV pants coming today and am hoping they don't smell!!

Janet L.
Regular Contributor

It smells like a combination of pesticide and dry cleaning fluid - and it seems to be there for life. Horrible. 

Honored Contributor

OK good--so I'm not the only one who notices this. And yes, it's not just Qvc--I've bought great fitting/priced  jeans from Macys with the same problem. Now I do a sniff testRobot Very Happy before I even try them on. To me the smell is like self tanner--kind of dirty feet like. Guess I'll have to wait to see.

thanks for the comments!!!

Respected Contributor

I use Oxi Clean on those items that have that funny industrial smell and it works for me along with a big scoop of Tide. Stink gone.

Valued Contributor

I second the Oxyclean. I love all the products in that line. For me it's a replacement for bleach in many places. 

MHO on the odor is what I think is a combo of things, dye most definitely. I also think it's the use of organic products~like bamboo and engineered fabrics like modal. Let's not forget spandex which is an elastic type produc....derived from rubber. For me that's the outstanding smell, a mix of dye and rubber. But we all have different noses. 

Add to that the shipping process from East Asia, where lately most clothing is made. But that's an entirely different topic!