Honored Contributor

Pricing For Tailoring/Alterations

If anyone feels comfortable sharing what you pay on average. Disclaimer-I think this work is an art form and well worth the compensation. I have no talent for sewing in any form and truly appreciate those who do.

I am having a dress altered for a special night out with my Mom. Hers is having minor alterations to the bust on the jacket and dress-$25. I have a long dress that needs to be taken in at the bust and partially down before the waist. I wanted length off, a little over an inch, so I don't have to wear really high heels. The dress has a drapey chiffon like layer over the base. 70 dollars total for mine! I wasn't expecting that. She gave me the receipt and that was the first mention of cost. My mistake for not asking previous to that of course. It was awkward, small shop with multiple customers and one rather annoying one who thought she was the only one in the shop...long story.

I am a novice at this, I usually just live with things the way they fit off the rack. It's a local tailor and the only place I went to. Well worth it for this dress, because believe it or not it's a $189 dress that I paid $26. 85 for from Nordstrom Rack. Sells for that at regular Nordstroms. So I don't want to cheap out about the alterations, just wondering what prices usually are.

My mother has gone to another local tailor years ago to have wool blazers altered, I believe it was at least $20 per jacket.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Respected Contributor

Re: Pricing For Tailoring/Alterations

Usually the only thing I need altered is the length of my slacks.  The charge is $14.  I take this cost into consideration when I'm buying new slacks.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree that is a lot of money, but it is easier to make a garment form scratch than it is to alter an already made garment.

It takes a very skilled person to do alterations, special machines and working with today's fabrics is a PIA!

Be happy you could get it altered.

My daughter took her Mother of the Groom to a tailor for alterations.  The tailor called the day before the wedding and said it was too difficult.  She found another one who took it on and did a beautiful job on it.  It fit her perfect, DDs and all. 

What price would be too much?

Tailors are skilled artisans and should make good money for their skillful work IMHO.  I just try not to need them often.  I usually can do my own.

We have a lady who rehems jeans and they look exactly the same as new.  Same color thread, etc.

She gets $15 to hem.  But if that is those "one and only jeans" to me, it is well worth the price.

Honored Contributor

Hi @Greeneyedlady21 I don't think $70 for an evening dress is unreasonable, like you said the work involved is considerable.  I pay $33 for pants (waist taken in and hemmed).  And in DC I went to a tailor for the same thing (1 pair of pants) and he quoted me $120.  Crazy!

I hope you & your Mom have a great time!

Honored Contributor

I buy clothes that, I would never buy something that needs to be re-made.  I think $70 for all that work on an expensive dress that you only paid $25 for is real bargain.  I wouldn't have a problem with it.  I the local dressmaker I use, charges $20 to hem pants and $25 to take the waist in.  That's all I ever need done and I think her prices are fair.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21

I imagine prices vary depending on location.   I went to my tailor yesterday and she charged $14 to take in the sides from under the armpits to my waist of a simple top...it was too boxy, and I wanted some shape.   I also made a simple cotton pair of "floods" lol into capri/crops and the charge was $8...which is her usual charge for hems.

Even though you had the sides taken in on your dress and, because of the overlay, two hems, the charge does seem excessive!

BTW, did you get that button tab sleeve straightened out (you may have answered already on other thread, but I didn't see it).

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

If anyone feels comfortable sharing what you pay on average. Disclaimer-I think this work is an art form and well worth the compensation. I have no talent for sewing in any form and truly appreciate those who do.

I am having a dress altered for a special night out with my Mom. Hers is having minor alterations to the bust on the jacket and dress-$25. I have a long dress that needs to be taken in at the bust and partially down before the waist. I wanted length off, a little over an inch, so I don't have to wear really high heels. The dress has a drapey chiffon like layer over the base. 70 dollars total for mine! I wasn't expecting that. She gave me the receipt and that was the first mention of cost. My mistake for not asking previous to that of course. It was awkward, small shop with multiple customers and one rather annoying one who thought she was the only one in the shop...long story.

I am a novice at this, I usually just live with things the way they fit off the rack. It's a local tailor and the only place I went to. Well worth it for this dress, because believe it or not it's a $189 dress that I paid $26. 85 for from Nordstrom Rack. Sells for that at regular Nordstroms. So I don't want to cheap out about the alterations, just wondering what prices usually are.

My mother has gone to another local tailor years ago to have wool blazers altered, I believe it was at least $20 per jacket.

Alterations are quite expensive in my small town...only 2 tailors. I try to purchase clothing that either does not need alterations or purchase at stores like Nordstrom's that will alter for free if not on sale. Most of the tops I buy fit off the rack, jackets/blazers/coats need about 2" off the sleeves and pants always a hem. For sleeves and hems, my dry cleaner is the most reasonable at $12 for sleeves or hems. 

Valued Contributor

As a "shorty" (5 feet tall) I have had to pay for alterations my entire life. The $70 sounds reasonable to me.  Now that I am retired it is mostly pants and I pay $12 for heming. I have always taken into consideration the price I pay for an item will have to include the cost of alterations and if the item is worth it or not. I am an avid "sale" shopper.

Honored Contributor

Ladies, I taught Clothing, Advanced Clothing, as well as Tailoring.

These are skilled artisans who have to have a space to work in, good machines, pay for expenses and make a profit.  They can ask a price that equals their talent and expertise.

The skill factor starts when you come in the door.  First, you generally have to be measired.  Stiches might have to be carefully be taken out so that the fabric isn't damaged.  The item is then resewn and pressed.  There may be a refitting.

Super Contributor

Once in a while I go to the seamstress shop (that's all they do).  I brought in a top from C Wonder to have taken in on the sides (it had a large swing to it).  She charged me $10.  It came out great.

I also purchased from the Q two paid of C Wonder floral pants.  When I tried them on I

didn't like the length.  I had them cut down to crops for the summer and they charged me

$20 for the two.

I am one of their regular customers. All their work is reasonable to me.