Honored Contributor

Re: Polyester By Any Other name is Still Polyester

@susan in California wrote:

I know Susan Graver has been called the "polyester queen", but Dennis now thinks he has made us feel really special by naming his polyester

LOL@quote.gifLOL@quote.gifLOL@quote.gif

"Caviar Crepe Knit." 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Who are Polly and Esther and why would they make such a disgusting fabric?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

And another member of the polyester fan club.  Today's polyester is nothing like what poly was like when I was a kid, or in fact, nothing like it was even 10years ago.  As Kachina said, there are different quality grades of poly fabric and different methods of creating the fabric.  New production techniques even have created breathing and moisture wicking fabrications.

For those of you who endlessly poo poo polyester and look down your noses at it oh well.  While you're working at keeping up your clothing, us polyester babes are out playing and enjoying life!

I own blouses from Lauren and NYDJ in polyester but I still prefer my cotton blouses only because they leave me feeling more comfortable. It has nothing to do with looking down my nose at polyester and everything to do with comfort.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My cousin worked in a mill where they produced polyester - she told me exactly how it is made. They take blocks of plastic and heat them till they melt - add dye and stir it through the molten material then under pressure the liquid is pushed through tiny holes so it comes out looking like a thread - it is cooled , wound onto huge spools and taken to another area to be knitted or woven on huge machines into fabric. Some of the fabric is made of shorter threads so it is flufflier and some longer threads so it is smooth.But there is absolutely no way that this is anything other than 100% plastic. It's like wearing saran wrap. It is extremely cheap to manufacture as the raw material is a product developed to use up a by product of turning petroleum into gas & oil etc. 

I suppose some people can be convinced that there is good, better and best in plastic clothing, but the fact is it is PLASTIC . It is always plastic. The tupperware of clothing. I do wear polyester at times - mostly I prefer it in blends like a 60/40 poly cotton, but I never fool myself that it is anything but what it is, and I always refuse to overpay for something made of material that I know for a fact was dirt cheap to make.

Honored Contributor

Ok, it you want silks and satins, buy them.  I'll take polyester any day of the week.  It sounds like you are thinking of that old polyester from the 70's, I'm not sure why.  Modern fabrics are like the stuff from 40 or 50 years ago. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Actually I'm queen of the polyester fan club.  It is truly a miracle fiber.  Don't discount it.  

It's easy care and usually doesn't require ironing.  It takes and hold dyes beautifully.  It can be spun into fiber that looks like anything from fuzzy, cozy wool to the finest silk.  It can mimic almost any natural fiber and do so relatively inexpensively.  It can be combined with other fibers to improve their wearability and make them easy care. 

As with most consumer products, there are many qualities available, some very cheap and others much finer.  Please give it its proper respect. 

They can't.  Their minds are firmy stuck in 1972.  And they aren't budging.  Honestly, I don't understand why they complain.  There are 100% cotton items here and everywhere else and no is forcing them to buy polyester or any other modern fabric. So....what was the point of the post? 

Esteemed Contributor

I used to like wearing Linen suits to work in the Summer....but by 5 PM I was a wrinkled mess....

Esteemed Contributor

I don't own an iron, and I don't plan to buy one.  Bring on the polyester - and I don't care what name you give it! 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Pros of polyester fabrics

1. no iron

2. doesn't fade 

3.washes & dries easily

4. doesn't wrinkle thru the day

5. lightweight

cons of polyester fabric 

1. You are wearing plastic and it feels like plastic against your skin.

2 hot, sweaty and doesn't allow air to circulate.

3. looks cheap because it is cheap.

Esteemed Contributor

Anything polyester I purchased here doesn't breathe or wick at all.  I can't wear it, it gives me a rash.  Thanks SG.  

At least I'm saving money by no longer buying much since it seems polyester is a favorite at the Q.