Trusted Contributor

Polyester By Any Other name is Still Polyester

I know Susan Graver has been called the "polyester queen", but Dennis now thinks he has made us feel really special by naming his polyester

"Caviar Crepe Knit."  It is just a spin on polyester--a cheap plastic material.

Honored Contributor

Re: Polyester By Any Other name is Still Polyester

Exactly... And it still is sticky and uncomfortable and no one will ever convince me it breaths.

Honored Contributor

Actually I'm queen of the polyester fan club.  It is truly a miracle fiber.  Don't discount it.  

It's easy care and usually doesn't require ironing.  It takes and hold dyes beautifully.  It can be spun into fiber that looks like anything from fuzzy, cozy wool to the finest silk.  It can mimic almost any natural fiber and do so relatively inexpensively.  It can be combined with other fibers to improve their wearability and make them easy care. 

As with most consumer products, there are many qualities available, some very cheap and others much finer.  Please give it its proper respect. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Add me to the polyester fan club!!!  I'll take polyester over cotton any day!

Respected Contributor

And another member of the polyester fan club.  Today's polyester is nothing like what poly was like when I was a kid, or in fact, nothing like it was even 10years ago.  As Kachina said, there are different quality grades of poly fabric and different methods of creating the fabric.  New production techniques even have created breathing and moisture wicking fabrications.

For those of you who endlessly poo poo polyester and look down your noses at it oh well.  While you're working at keeping up your clothing, us polyester babes are out playing and enjoying life!

Respected Contributor

There are different grades of polyester.  Some is better than others 

I'm not a fan of thick, heavy cotton.   Silk is too think and too fussy to care for.  Linen wrinkles too much.   Wool can be hot and itchy.  

Honored Contributor

@susan in California wrote:

I know Susan Graver has been called the "polyester queen", but Dennis now thinks he has made us feel really special by naming his polyester

"Caviar Crepe Knit."  It is just a spin on polyester--a cheap plastic material.

The poly of today is not the same as the poly of yesteryear, Some of it is fantastic. That said, I don't like it in the summer and it's nearly always summer in Texas, despite the calendar.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

Add me to the polyester fan club!!!  I'll take polyester over cotton any day!

@Krimpette

Same here.  I like lightweight poly in hot sticky weather.   Cotton get's soggy and looks sloppy. 

Respected Contributor

Poly has come far from its original form yrs ago, And I'm a fan too now. But the goofy names don't fool me any- 

Honored Contributor

i am a fan of poly and poly blends. the colors are gorgeous, no shrinking or fading, easy to care for......lots of positives. i even wear it in the summer in lighter weight forms. i dont find it to be sticky or clingy and i am HOT all the time.

i never buy 100% cotton, only cotton blends.

i do have a couple of pieces of the "caviar" fabric from dennis basso and i like it. it has a nice hand to it and is a bit more substantial than a liquid knit.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein