Honored Contributor

Please check your profile, preferences and permissions

Hello there, please check your profile, preferences and permissions (who you allow to see your information).

I just learned a fellow poster's first and last name because of the way this person set up their profile.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Please check your profile, preferences and permissions

Thank you,birdmama

Trusted Contributor

Do you know how it happened?  Would not completing the personal information section prevent this?

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor

Dosey, if a person completed all of the personal information in the profile and doesn't pay attention to the privacy settings tab in the Edit My Preferences area, then the information is the personal profile area can be seen.

Valued Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Hello there, please check your profile, preferences and permissions (who you allow to see your information).

I just learned a fellow poster's first and last name because of the way this person set up their profile.

Yes, I was informed by two friends they saw my email address. I went to the  Quick Links Category over on the left side of this screen and clicked on  My Settings to review how that was set up and also Edit my Preferences. My settings were on "default NO". I called C/S and  was advised  to change to "NO". I contacted my friends who warned me and they told me that by selecting the "NO" option my email information is now hidden. I'm going to check regularly until this mess is straightened out.

Honored Contributor

This may be a dumb question...

How do they know who your "friends" are? Cat Embarassed

I don't see a place to designate for friends, so under privacy, who would these people be?  LG, SG, SK, AS, etc.? Cat Wink

Honored Contributor

Lola, that I don't know.  I will give it a day or so and if the person doesn't fix it then I will find another way to get a shout out without linking the personal name to the screen name.

The only option I left on was to be able to see if I am online.   Other than that, I said no to the other two choices.

Respected Contributor

Thank you birdmama! I'm bumping this up so everyone can read it! This is getting as bad as FB which I quit because they kept changing my privacy settings without my knowledge or permission. I hate this new forum and foresee many, many problems with leaked personal info. This is unacceptable. Thanks again for warning people and please everyone check your settings!

Honored Contributor

@silkyk I have to agree with you. I saw birdmama's message yesterday but before I could get to the privacy settings, I got bumped off and could not even get back to the forums page, let alone post or check my settings. Tried today to send feedback message, it wouldn't go, sent email to cs, they said install firefox which didn't fix the problem either. Just now using hubby's laptop which is jumping all over the place. I did check my settings and am signing back off. This needs more work, big time.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:

@silkyk I have to agree with you. I saw birdmama's message yesterday but before I could get to the privacy settings, I got bumped off and could not even get back to the forums page, let alone post or check my settings. 

Snicks, you need an avatar!  Will it be this?