Honored Contributor

Hi I have not been to the East Coast of Fl in a few years, we are going to a 4 star hotel on the beach in early March, I am good with swim wear and day time wear, how would one dress at night, back home in NY I wear long dresses or crops and cute tops to go out on a Summer evening, would that look too touristy

thanks all

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Well if that's touristy then I look like a tourist, lol. I wear these things all the time and I'm a native Floridian. 

Honored Contributor

Palm Beach is like any other small town -- just with more money.   The locals will probably know you're a tourist, but it doesn't matter.  They wear what we wear when it's hot although you don't see much in the way of worn and raggedy, but that's not what most of us pack for vacation anyway.

Nice capris or ankle pants during the day and a maxi or linen trousers to go to dinner will probably make you happy with yourself.  If you have an eye for fabrics and fashion, you'll see the money, but there's usually restraint when it comes to glitz.  There's some, but I never noticed it being overdone.

I live about a half hour away, but once I go over the bridge into Palm Beach I get the feel of being in a whole different world.  Even the ocean looks different there.  Enjoy.

Honored Contributor

Thank you I live in close to Scarsdale NY, so I understand the "haves or have nots"

thanks again

@millieshops wrote:

Palm Beach is like any other small town -- just with more money.   The locals will probably know you're a tourist, but it doesn't matter.  They wear what we wear when it's hot although you don't see much in the way of worn and raggedy, but that's not what most of us pack for vacation anyway.

Nice capris or ankle pants during the day and a maxi or linen trousers to go to dinner will probably make you happy with yourself.  If you have an eye for fabrics and fashion, you'll see the money, but there's usually restraint when it comes to glitz.  There's some, but I never noticed it being overdone.

I live about a half hour away, but once I go over the bridge into Palm Beach I get the feel of being in a whole different world.  Even the ocean looks different there.  Enjoy.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Why not look touristy?  Most of the people you will see are tourists also!

Honored Contributor

Just not my style, I dont wear high water stretch pants and location t shirts 

@Zhills wrote:

Why not look touristy?  Most of the people you will see are tourists also!

Trusted Contributor

Just dress classy.  I live in Boca.  It's no different than anywhere else.  As 1 person already mentioned there is just a lot of money and add in some fancy over the top cars.  White or black jeans, slacks, nice tops, classic jewelry and if you're going to an upscale restaurant, I suggest you make reservations.  Also, hubby should bring a jacket - just in case it's "jacket required".  Women can pretty much wear anything.  Enjoy your trip!  Definitely do brunch at the Breakers!

Respected Contributor

Dont worry about looking touristy, you'll be fine just dressing nicely. Anyway, if locals think you are a tourist, they will be jealous because you are on vacation and they are not. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you for the Jacket requiret tip I will call the two places we have reservations for, on vacation he will generally wear a linen shirt and pants, and shoes I hope 

@nycgrl wrote:

Just dress classy.  I live in Boca.  It's no different than anywhere else.  As 1 person already mentioned there is just a lot of money and add in some fancy over the top cars.  White or black jeans, slacks, nice tops, classic jewelry and if you're going to an upscale restaurant, I suggest you make reservations.  Also, hubby should bring a jacket - just in case it's "jacket required".  Women can pretty much wear anything.  Enjoy your trip!  Definitely do brunch at the Breakers!

Trusted Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Thank you for the Jacket requiret tip I will call the two places we have reservations for, on vacation he will generally wear a linen shirt and pants, and shoes I hope 

@nycgrl wrote:

That will more than suffice - trust me.  The men don't dress - they wear slacks, jeans, shorts, and boat shoes - no socks Smiley Happy  It's really no different - anything goes.  Kind of like the Hamptons - if you are familiar.  Most places require shirts and shoes and that's about it !  Just have fun - I love to people watch and love looking at the cars.  Not sure where you're staying or what you are into as far as nightlife, but there is a nice restaurant / club that I had a very good time at - it's called The Leopard Lounge at the Chelea Hotel.  Also, City Place has a slew of restaurants and bars with tons of shopping.  If you have a car, you may enjoy a ride up to Singer Island/Peanut Island and have lunch or sunset meal at the Sailfish Marina.  Many things to do, see and enjoy.