Trusted Contributor

Re: Old School Style of Dressing - Two Neutrals and a Color?

@SilleeMee wrote:

I pretty much do that already. I buy stuff to go with jeans.... light blue, dark blue and black.  Jeans are my neutral because that's what I wear most of the time.  If I look at a piece of clothing to buy, I ask myself  first  "will it go with my jeans?" and if it won't then I usually pass on it. 

I think this is great advice and very simple to follow.  I work part-time and I have black as my fall/winter neutral and ask myself first if it will go with black.  My casual wardrobe is based around jeans like SilleeMee's. 

Respected Contributor

My neutrals for pants are black, white and denim.

Most of my tops are black.  I like my jewelry and handbags to stand out against my outfits.

Honored Contributor

I don't know if there is a word for it and most certainly is not old school.  It's actually somewhat modern.  When had to dress up in office clothes all the time, I curated my wardrobe in that way.  I called my "color story".  I started with black or navy basics.  Like my pants, blazers, skirts would be black or navy and I would have black or navy cardigan and  turtleneck  I'd have a couple of white button down shirts.  And then I would choose a color; pink or blue or wine or forest green.  Whatever appealed to me.  And add a few tops and a cardigan and perhaps a print skirt or dress in that particular color.  That way, everything mixed and matched and I never had to think about colors matching or coordinating.  Anything in my closet that didn't work with my color story for the season, went into storage.  Now that I dress more casually for the office and since I only go into the office twice a week, I don't do that.

Honored Contributor

My older sister actually did this years ago when she worked. It was a similar version to this, she would buy black and navy pants-several pairs of them, and then grey, black and navy skirts, and then she would buy several white blouses and black and then add some color with her jewelry or tank tops to go underneath. She said it not only saved money from buying every trendy thing that came out, but it was so easy to decide what to wear every day.....To me it sounds easier than it probably is, but I certainly can see the simplicity of it......

Honored Contributor

I think we all already probably shop this way.

you have a favorite color that dominates your wardrobe? Mine is olive green and while I make a concerted effort to expand my palette (I've been doing pretty well) olive green is always the shirt, pants, whatever! that initially catches my eye.

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

I definitely have more of certain colors than others in my wardrobe, but I would get very bored with only 2 neutrals and one other color. I love making different outfits to wear and having lots of colors and prints helps me do that. When I am shopping and buying I always want a new piece to go with at least 2 other existing pieces. 

Respected Contributor

I agree with so many posts on this thread.  I'd never thought of it, but I do this, too.  I have mostly black pants and denim as my basics because that's what I like and know I'll wear.  I'll buy gray or navy pants once in a while as well.  Then for shoes I have mostly black but will also buy gray or navy.  The brown and beige footwear I have I never wear, so I'm not buying it anymore.  All my pocketbooks are black.

Added to that are shirts, tunics, sweaters, and jackets in every color imaginable.  I love paisley but generally don't wear prints except for that.  This way, I can have color without it getting out of hand.  I find that when I go beyond my comfort zone and buy colors I really don't like they sit in the closet.  No beiges or brown for me.  They look great on my older sister, but she has different coloring.

Honored Contributor

I don't do capsule dressing.  I personally can't stand repetition because I'm SO visual.

My basics are black, navy, chocolate, and in summer, remove the brown and add beige and white.  All of my things are on the blue side of the color wheel except lemon yellow.  No red orange, orange, yellow greens or I'll turn green!

Trusted Contributor

That is how I like to pack for a trip!!  Unless it is a cruise when I need to take some dressier clothes!! Woman Wink