Valued Contributor

Old School Style of Dressing - Two Neutrals and a Color?

Hi all. I'm hoping you can help me.  I was reading a post on the Q Forum sometime this week about the style of dressing where you choose 2 neutrals and a color and you stick to that color scheme so that everything in your wardrobe goes.  I'd like to explore that further, but I can't seem to find the post.  Do any of you remember what that is called?  It had a name.  Trying to streamline my wardrobe a bit. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Honored Contributor

Re: Old School Style of Dressing - Two Neutrals and a Color?

@AriannyI didn't see that post, but I love that idea.  I'm close to that, but would love to get myself even more streamlined.  Hope someone clues us in.

Honored Contributor

OK - I'm confused. Are you saying someone would only have two neutrals in their entire wardrobe - say khacki and grey - then only one color - say red - and that would be their entire wardrobe?

Valued Contributor

Hi @millieshops!  I need to revamp my fall/winter work wardrobe and would like to buy more of a set palette rather than the mish mosh that I've had in the past.  Looking to have less clothes but more options since everything will work together.

Valued Contributor

Yes @151949 - I believe that's what it is.  Unless my understanding of it is incorrect.  I think it's just wardrobe builder basics.  I'm looking to start fresh and streamline.

Honored Contributor

I had to wear blue scrubs to work every day - day in & day out - blue scrubs. Now I can't stand to wear light blue and never will again. I think you would get very tired of that color.

Honored Contributor

I pretty much do that already. I buy stuff to go with jeans.... light blue, dark blue and black.  Jeans are my neutral because that's what I wear most of the time.  If I look at a piece of clothing to buy, I ask myself  first  "will it go with my jeans?" and if it won't then I usually pass on it. 

Honored Contributor

I don't stray far from that.  Almost all of my basics (pants, skirts) are black or some variation of beige/tan/stone/.  I stick to pink/red, blue, and white/gray/black for the most part.  I have few orange/coral things, so mostly everything goes well with my basic shoes, which are also blacks and nude/beige/tan.  

The best thing is it cuts down on stuff in the closet.  

Valued Contributor

Are you thinking of a capsule wardrobe?  Pinterest has many, many examples.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry, but when it comes to clothes, I think "more is more." 😀     I don't want to simplify or scale back.