Respected Contributor

Re: Ochre is pronounced OH-ker not okra!!!

On 7/18/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:

Lord have mercy, I wish I was as perfect as some folks present themselves to be.

It's not about being perfect.It is about being professional and paying attention to the details. If you are selling something,do make every effort to pronounce the words properly.

Respected Contributor

On 7/18/2014 sparklestar said:

In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter? Does it change your day??

I does matter to the posters ,like me,who do think pronunciation is important. Many things discussed on this forum are not day changers. Most things posted are rather trivial but we cannot discuss serious matters all the time.

Respected Contributor

On 7/18/2014 focksie said:
On 7/18/2014 Clover29 said:

I just looked "ochre" up in Merriam Webster, and they say it's spelled OCHER. That was news to me. If you spell it OCHER, there's really no excuse for pronouncing it OKRA.

Although if it's the person who thinks she's French (as in her favorite phrase, "I j'adore"), then it would be conceivable she might pronounce ochre, okra. Wink

Haha

Respected Contributor

If he corrected her on the air I think that was worse than her mispronunciation.

Super Contributor

On 7/18/2014 Frannie said:

If he corrected her on the air I think that was worse than her mispronunciation.

I presume he didn't say, "It's OH-KER, not OKRA", and he just said it correctly as part of the dialogue about the item, so she could take her cue from him. That's not correcting her, it's discreet.

Respected Contributor

i though it was a card game.

Trusted Contributor

Just can't teach an old dog new tricks. Bow wow
Regular Contributor

On 7/18/2014 Ranchergal said:

Sometimes I think people are mispronouncing words when actually they aren't It's my own hearing deficit that causes this problem. Could you have a hearing deficit of which you aren't aware?

No. I have many deficits but hearing isn't one of them.

Rebecca J

Valued Contributor

On 7/18/2014 CalmInTheHeart said:

regional pronunciations vary. I've never heard it pronounced oh-ker....in all the states I've lived in, it's been okRA.

That's amazing. I've only heard the vegetable pronounced o-kra, which is correct. The color is pronounced o-ker. And I'm surprised that Merriam Webster doesn't recognize the primary spelling as "ochre," which is how I learned to spell the word.
Regular Contributor

On 7/18/2014 Clover29 said:
On 7/18/2014 Frannie said:

I presume he didn't say, "It's OH-KER, not OKRA", and he just said it correctly as part of the dialogue about the item, so she could take her cue from him. That's not correcting her, it's discreet.

They had an entire discussion about it last week where IM told her the correct pronunciation and she seemed surprised. They then discussed it for a minute or so. Today, she is presenting without him and said it/this color/this selection is "oh-ker or okra." Hence my initial rant....

As a teacher, I correct students' pronunciations all the time (after class). It's better that I do it, as gently as I can, than for the students to be made fun of by other students (and they do make fun.) Pronunciation is important -- it's important for us to understand what others are saying and what they mean. "Okra" and "oh-ker" are two different pronunciations and hence mean two different things -- vegetable and color. To me, it's like the gigantic difference between "pacific" and "specific" -- two different words with two entirely different meanings. I will never forget the poor student who was giving a presentation on her chosen career (photographer) and kept pronouncing "photography" as "foto-graffy." By the end of her presentation, other students were rolling their eyes and giggling.

So, yes, it matters -- particularly when one is before others.

Rebecca J.