Trusted Contributor

Re: Ochre is pronounced OH-ker not okra!!!

On 10/18/2014 christine03878 said:

she no doubt reading from a Q card, she was hurrying through it, and mispronounced it. she may have never heard of the color, like me, THEN Iszach explained it, corrected her and helped her through it. He was a perfect gentleman, as always, and they moved on and continued the show. what is the big deal???

Because the OP said that in subsequent shows the host would speak both pronunciations each time she showed the color, as if her pronunciation was valid. She should have learned from Isaac and used the correct word in future shows. She obviously remembered the correct word because she used it but insisted on including her own version alongside it.

No, it's not a huge issue in the scheme of things. But like some others on this thread I am a tech writer by trade and I'm still learning new words and grammar skills. What's wrong with learning?

And this is not a regional difference. Just because some people in a local area all pronounce it incorrectly does not make it a correct variation. For example, "expresso" is not a correct variation of "espresso" no matter how many people pronounce it incorrectly. Instead of defending someone's right to speak/spell/write incorrectly we should support each other in learning correct speaking/spelling/writing. Little mistakes like that can cause interviewees to not be considered for jobs, promotions, etc.

Little things sometimes matter a LOT.

KJPA
Super Contributor

On 10/20/2014 KJPA said:
On 10/18/2014 christine03878 said:

she no doubt reading from a Q card, she was hurrying through it, and mispronounced it. she may have never heard of the color, like me, THEN Iszach explained it, corrected her and helped her through it. He was a perfect gentleman, as always, and they moved on and continued the show. what is the big deal???

Because the OP said that in subsequent shows the host would speak both pronunciations each time she showed the color, as if her pronunciation was valid. She should have learned from Isaac and used the correct word in future shows. She obviously remembered the correct word because she used it but insisted on including her own version alongside it.

No, it's not a huge issue in the scheme of things. But like some others on this thread I am a tech writer by trade and I'm still learning new words and grammar skills. What's wrong with learning?

And this is not a regional difference. Just because some people in a local area all pronounce it incorrectly does not make it a correct variation. For example, "expresso" is not a correct variation of "espresso" no matter how many people pronounce it incorrectly. Instead of defending someone's right to speak/spell/write incorrectly we should support each other in learning correct speaking/spelling/writing. Little mistakes like that can cause interviewees to not be considered for jobs, promotions, etc.

Little things sometimes matter a LOT.

Thank you for "getting" this.......you are so right....{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Frequent Contributor

I think everyone should know you must use yellow ochre on your ""happy little trees""...jeez!