Respected Contributor

OT: What's the worst Christmas gift you ever received?

I know it's the thought that really counts...but sometimes, you have to wonder what on earth people are thinking! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Years ago I had a friend who was an actress - she never became famous, but liked to think she was, so she'd spend a lot of money on things she thought would enhance her image - designer clothing, expensive hairdressers, a complicated skin care program that cost quite a bit, etc. She even had an apartment on Madison Ave. in NYC....although it was one room atop a store. (She usually worked as an office temp, so that was all she could afford.)

Anyway, one year she started telling me in about October that the Christmas gift I would be getting from her that year was very expensive. I mean, it was all I heard about for over two months! That put me in a rather awkward position, but I felt I really had no choice but to get her a pricey gift as well.

Come Christmas Day we met at church, and exchanged gifts after the service. She was meeting someone for brunch so had to hurry off; I couldn't wait to get home and open my present, which was beautifully wrapped. Judging by the size of the box, I couldn't imagine what it was, but she really had my sense of anticipation built up.

I for home, and tore off the paper, filled with excitement!

This "very expensive" gift was her opened and halfway gone used skin care system...turned out she was allergic to it. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

So much for class...had it been the other way around, I'd have just offered the products to a friend, not passed them off as a gift. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

(Yeah, they got tossed....)