Honored Contributor

Re: Leather Outerwear With Sweater (Knit) Sleeves

@StylishLady wrote:

They do look nice, but I agree about the wear and tear part. Knits like that catch on things and are easily ruined. My leather jackets and coats hold up better over the years.

While I'm sure that leather is more sturdy than a sweater knit, I am not in the habit of catching all my sweaters on things and generally I can keep a sweater for years and years, so I don't understand why this is such an issue. 

I just got the Halston TSV faux suede jacket with knit sleeves - it is beautiful.

Esteemed Contributor

@culebra, I'm glad you mentioned Linea.  Being one who is always turned off by leather body mixed with knit sleeves and sometimes knit side panels too, Louis has made some lovely interpretations of leather with knit over the years.  I have a dark green leather with knit sleeves from his collection which contradicts looking cheapened, but rather looks like an elegant interpretaion of blending textures for style effect.

Honored Contributor

I don't own any leather coats with sweater sleeves.  They are ok but I don't really like the look.  I'm also not sure about cleaning.  It's like leather pants with ponte inserts.  How do you clean them?

Honored Contributor

I have one faux leather jacket with knit panels on the underside of the sleeves only - the sleeves aren't 100% knit. I don't think knit sleeves are that trendy because I have seen jackets like this for many years. I like the one I own. 

Honored Contributor

I've seen some that I like, others I don't care for. It is like most things; I decide on each piece.

I've got an Iman suede jacket with knit fabric sleeves but it is not a sweater knit. I think it may be a ponte knit or something similar. I really like it. I think the knit will wear well, definitely better than a sweater knit. I'm in Florida and  also wong have cold enough weather to wear it a lot.

Honored Contributor

The knit sleeves are really not a fashion trend. The reason I have heard designers give for them is comfort and fit. 

Respected Contributor

I agree about the Linea jackets. I have  suede and leather jackets from Linea with knit either knit panels or sleeves and they have held up beautifully. They are excelent quality and extremely comfortable. I think the moto jacket is extraordinary.

Respected Contributor

I think they do it to keep the price of the garment down.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I buy a suede or leather coat, I want it to be ALL leather. (and I own several leather coats and jackets)    Same goes for boots - I don't understand the knit panels on the backs of boots.  Like someone else said, having a coat (or boots) that is half knit fabric cheapens the look for me.  It looks like some discount store bargain.  No thanks.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I like the leather or suede jackets with knit panels or sleeves for the comfort of wearing but I do agree it is probably done to keep the price down.  I just ordered a jacket from Halston (haven't received yet) that is the reverse - boiled wool body and leather sleeves.