Honored Contributor

LL Bean Boots Keep Selling Out

[ Edited ]

LL Bean's original duck boots, with
image.jpegwaterproof rubber bottoms, designed in 1912, are more popular than ever. They're so popular with women, that sales for the women's version have surpassed those for men. Total sales have tripled in three years, and there are currently 60,000 backorders. Some people say the boots are so well-made, that theirs have lasted over 40 years. They're still handmade by skilled craftsmen in Maine, just as they've been for over 100 years, even though 80% of U.S. footwear is now mass-produced overseas.

Do you like them, own them or would you wear them?

ETA: When l originally posted this, l was on the fence about them, but they're beginning to grow on me. I think the old-school, retro "Americana" look makes them sort of a classic.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/10/llbean-duck-boot-labor-shoes-maine/410863/

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: LL Bean Boots Keep Selling Out

I would never wear them because they don't come in narrow sizes. Even if they did, I wouldn't wear them. I think they are dog ugly. Really horrific. 

Respected Contributor

I saw that on the news. I have a pair of LLBean moccasin style deep blue with the tan leather. I wore them last night out to dinner because it was raining outside. I had no idea I was walking around in a high fashion item. I love mine, but if you get some, definitely size down as instructed. I wear a 11 and my boots are a 9 because I wear light socks.

Honored Contributor

I used to have a pair many years ago.  I loved them.  I probably donated them and shouldn't have!  I think they are cute! 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

I also think they are very cute. I bought an almost identical pair of Sorels in the Boys Dept about 10 years ago, on sale for something like $15. Have worn the heck out of them, but you would never know it. Ladst year Kohls had some duck boots that looked a lot like these in cute fashion colors and reasonably priced. 

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

I would definitely have a pair of those if I spent a lot of time outdoors during inclement weather.  I think they'd look great with classic jeans, chunky sweater, & plaid wool scarf.  As it is, I'm a big wussy baby who has to be warm & cozy -- indoors.

Honored Contributor

It's all the Californians buying them because they heard about El Nino...to go with their handbag raincoats.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

nah....one californian that's not into duck boots.  i do have a cute pair of waterproof sorels from last year in case of el nino so i'm prepared. 

Honored Contributor

I don't like them or own them. I would not wear them either. At least not here & now. Not anything I need.

If I lived up north & spent a lot of time doing messy outdoor activities I might find these kind of attractive & very functional. 

Valued Contributor

NO, I wouldn't wear them - clunky and ugly.