Valued Contributor

L L Bean: New Store at our local mall

I was in the new LL Bean store at Partridge Creek Mall in SE Michigan yesterday. I really wanted to go there thinking that they would have some good deals in there -- being as they recently opened, and also being as they ALWAYS have great deals on line. I love LL Bean. Their merchandise is quality, and their customer service is beyond reproach. However, I was really surprised. They had nothing on sale....NOTHING. No sales rack, no specials, and as you probably know, their full prices are.....well.....pretty pricey. It's a beautiful store, but I don't know how they can make it when you can go on line and get the same merchandise on special deals or on sale. It seems odd to me that the B&M store is now sort of competing with their website in a way.

Honored Contributor

Re: L L Bean: New Store at our local mall

@BriggsiePeawiggle maybe they are planning a grand opening and then they will have sales.I think that the mall rents are so high it will be tough for them to give the same deals that you find online.

Esteemed Contributor

I've been an LL Bean fan for years.  Great quality!  I've never been in a store, though--always ordered from catalog and online.  I would be excited about going to a store too!

I can relate to your disappointment.  It reminds me of our nearby Orvis store.  Their women's department is small--many of the things I like in their catalog or online are not available in the store.  Compared to the online sales, the store has very few items on sale when I go.  The best sales were right after Christmas.  The Orvis store in Pigeon Forge, TN, has much more merchandise and more sale items year round than this one.  I guess it just depends on the location?  Lately I've just used my nearby store as a place to return items that I've ordered online.  There have been many times that I would like to try on something I saw online, but they never had it in the store.

Valued Contributor

@dex wrote:

@BriggsiePeawiggle maybe they are planning a grand opening and then they will have sales.I think that the mall rents are so high it will be tough for them to give the same deals that you find online.

That's exactly what my husband said about the mall rents, but wouldn't there be more people in there if they didn't charge $200 for a lightweight jacket, but instead offered at least a few deals? What do I know? I'm not a merchandiser.....just seems like I don't have a reason to even go there again when I can shop on line. My hubby also pointed out that I can't try on stuff on line, but with Bean, I don't have to. Their sizes are fairly consistent. 

Maybe they are planning a grand opening. I hope so.

Honored Contributor

I am surprised that they opened a store in your mall as I find most of the stores in our malls seem to be closing.I think most people go to the mall to try things on but then search for a better price online.

Honored Contributor

I have been to several LL Bean Stores, their flagship store in Maine and a couple of their outlet stores.  I also buy online from their catalog.

IMO LLB seldom has sales.  A few times a year they offer 10% off.  Once in a blue moon, they offer 20% off... It's not often.

They offer $10 gift cards with a $50 purchase too.

They tend to lower the prices on their merchandise when their new season items come in.  They do a very low clearance price then.

Their outlet stores offer overstock items, returned items and things too weird to sell... Like pink shorts for men.

LLB seems to be one of those stores that doessn't need to run sales to move merchandise. Their CS and quality is excellent.  They will take a return anytime.  If you have a 20 year old pair of boots and want to return them, they will take them back with no problem.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie

"If you have a 20 year old pair of boots and want to return them, they will take them back with no problem."

BBB is the same!  Reason why I should purchase stock in both stores as they are my 2nd homes. willy.gif

I live near a LL Bean store.  Place is huge.  When I am there I have to wear blinders to keep from purchasing everything they have.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

One of my nearest malls had an LLB store.  It was a very impressive store.  You entered from outside the mall.  Their walkway was lined with outdoor recreation items such as kayaks, etc.  They closed some time ago, however.  I seldom went there and the store was never very busy. I agree....they never seemed to have sales. 

Frequent Contributor

I was also at the new LL Bean store at Partridge Creek last week.  Beautiful store but left with nothing.  I was disappointed that there were no sales or anything trying to draw in customers.  I think the grand opening has already happened.  I didn't see anything I needed to rush back for anytime soon.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

I have been to several LL Bean Stores, their flagship store in Maine and a couple of their outlet stores.  I also buy online from their catalog.

IMO LLB seldom has sales.  A few times a year they offer 10% off.  Once in a blue moon, they offer 20% off... It's not often.

They offer $10 gift cards with a $50 purchase too.

They tend to lower the prices on their merchandise when their new season items come in.  They do a very low clearance price then.

Their outlet stores offer overstock items, returned items and things too weird to sell... Like pink shorts for men.

LLB seems to be one of those stores that doessn't need to run sales to move merchandise. Their CS and quality is excellent.  They will take a return anytime.  If you have a 20 year old pair of boots and want to return them, they will take them back with no problem.

This is what I was thinking. My experience has been that they have occasional 10% of everything promotions, but no deep discounts until the end of the season (and even then, they're not giving stuff away).

I usually pay full price at L.L. Bean. And I don't mind, because I know what I'm getting and the quality has been consistent.

My most frequent purchase is the scoop neck elbow sleeve tee (which I love) for $24.95; also the v-neck short sleeve tee which is $19.95, I believe. The prices seem fair to me. Their jeans skirts ($49.99) are terrific.

I feel like I need to put my money where my mouth is. I keep advocating for better quality clothing, and telling myself that quality is worth a bit more. 

(But hey, a good sales find is fun, too!)

I would LOVE to have an L.L. Bean store nearby so that I could try clothes on.