Honored Contributor

Just how many names for knit can QVC come up with?

So I looked at the product review list for today and see a Graver item in "Passport" knit. Holy cow! How many names for knits can QVC come up with among its designers?  Passport knit, butterknit, liquid knit, lustra knit, milky knit, Milano knit, plush knit, French knit, crystal knit,  whisper knit...and I don't know how many more.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Just how many names for knit can QVC come up with?

[ Edited ]

And , in the end of it all, it is all the same cheap, cheesy, awful polyester double knit. Some heavier, some lighter and clingier, some have spandex and some don't but basically they are laughing all the way to the bank about the prices they are getting for this cheap fabric.

Honored Contributor

Obviously, you're dead wrong -  I suspect you've never owned any of the QVC knits I have or you wouldn't say that.

If you'd said "I once bought some lustre knit and sent it back"  or "I didn't like the liquid knit I bought"  I might have thought you actually knew what you were saying instead of just voicing an unsupported opinion.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

And some take the bait hook,line and sinker. There is no better quality polyester -- it is fabric made from plastic and it is ALL cheap as dirt. Why don't you try looking up what the word polyester means -- poly = many  ester = plastic. all man made with leftovers from refining oil. Tons of it all around and very cheap and readily available.

Valued Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

So I looked at the product review list for today and see a Graver item in "Passport" knit. Holy cow! How many names for knits can QVC come up with among its designers?  Passport knit, butterknit, liquid knit, lustra knit, milky knit, Milano knit, plush knit, French knit, crystal knit,  whisper knit...and I don't know how many more.  

ITA!!! And I have obviously bought the different knits from Q. It's getting ridiculous. And hard to keep up with whether a long time shopper or someone new today!

And, @151949~you're so right! A lot of it ends up as the same old cheap knit that you can buy for 1/2 the price in most department stores! 

Actually, Chicos has an entire category of the knit that launched the store~called "passport knit"/travelers collection. I'm surprised that SG gets away with it. 

Honored Contributor

My cousin worked in a factory where they make polyester fabric - they basically melt down a block of plastic in a machine - stir in the dye while it is melted then press it through extruders where it comes out in thin strands and is cooled and rolled onto a spool then goes to another machine where it is woven or knitted. i saw it being made . Don't you wonder why it doesn't ever fade or wrinkle? Did you ever use too hot an iron on polyester - it melts because it is plastic. That is why it doesn't breathe and people complain it is too hot and makes them sweat.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

My cousin worked in a factory where they make polyester fabric - they basically melt down a block of plastic in a machine - stir in the dye while it is melted then press it through extruders where it comes out in thin strands and is cooled and rolled onto a spool then goes to another machine where it is woven or knitted. i saw it being made . Don't you wonder why it doesn't ever fade or wrinkle? Did you ever use too hot an iron on polyester - it melts because it is plastic. That is why it doesn't breathe and people complain it is too hot and makes them sweat.

Polyester wrinkles, so no I haven't wondered that.

You are describing poly in a very negative light.  So what if it's made the way you say? That isn't necessarily negative.  Nobody claimed it was cotton or linen.  There are many grades of polyester.  Some of it I can't tell from silk and of the two fabrics in that case I prefer the polyester.  It's much easier to care for and much less fragile.  There are some really nice polyesters and I like the easy care.  I've never expected it to have the qualities of a natural fabric.  I know what I'm buying when I buy it.

Why do you have to constantly be so negative about so many things?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can very easily tell the difference between polyester and silk -- there is no comparison. And there are not grades of polyester - it is ALL the same melted down plastic. Why present it in a negative light ?Because it is a BAD PRODUCT. It is clingy and hot and sweaty to wear, and it is cheap to the manufacturer - yet you are charged way too much for it on QVC. Someone else said correctly - you can buy it in brick & morter for half the price as here.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I can very easily tell the difference between polyester and silk -- there is no comparison.

So you say.  But I'd be willing to bet in some circumstancs, feeling them both blondfolded, you couldn'[t.  Not all polys but certain ones are indistinguishable from silk IMO.  I really doublt that you could tell the difference if you didn't know which was which.

But go ahead an be negative about poly.  Nobody is forcing you to buy it.

Honored Contributor

Maybe YOU can't tell the difference - I can.