Honored Contributor

You said it yourself, you are senior citizen and since obviously are not a fashion person, you wouldn't understand the distressed or "holes" in denim trend. Like most things in fashion, there is no logic too it. It's not about "undertanding" it. It's a trend that has been a round for several years now. You like it or you don't like it. Of course, there are variations. I've seen big, gaping rips and huge holes. That's not a look a like on anyone. And then there are more subtle takes on it.

Super Contributor

I don't think it's necessary to understand ... it's just a fashion statement. I see the look around here (NYC) - mostly teenagers and some NYU grad students. My brother's granddaughter who is about 14 or 15 (lives in WV) - has some like that.

ETA: A cute ""look"" for the junior high set this winter is brightly colored tights under tattered jeans.

Honored Contributor

I'm going to buy a few patches and iron/scatter them around on older jeans. Just a thought! Might be cute! A trend?

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Valued Contributor
On 3/3/2015 ROMARY 1 said:

I'm going to buy a few patches and iron/scatter them around on older jeans. Just a thought! Might be cute! A trend?

Gwen took it to the extreme!

Occasional Contributor
When I was in high school many moons ago, we couldn't wait until our jeans got holes. There is no way my parents would ever have purchased jeans with holes already in them.
Super Contributor
On 3/3/2015 ROMARY 1 said:

These days, I'm a "purist" when it comes to jeans ... indigo or black only!

About 25-30 years ago I went through my painted jeans phase ... I painted small scenes and patches on them!

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/3/2015 Kathleen said:

I don't think it's necessary to understand ... it's just a fashion statement. I see the look around here (NYC) - mostly teenagers and some NYU grad students. My brother's granddaughter who is about 14 or 15 (lives in WV) - has some like that.

ETA: A cute ""look"" for the junior high set this winter is brightly colored tights under tattered jeans.

agree

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Ripped jeans have been variously "in" and then "out" several times that I can remember in my lifetime, and I was a teenager in the 1970's!

People I knew wore ripped jeans all the time. Part of the hippie look. I also seem to remember them at various point in both the 80's and the 90's.

Nothing new at all IMO and really nothing to explain. People either like it or they don't, just like all fashion.

Super Contributor

Not for me, but I'm well out of my teens {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

It's a harmless trend that's been around for a while.

Respected Contributor
On 3/3/2015 chrystaltree said:

You said it yourself, you are senior citizen and since obviously are not a fashion person, you wouldn't understand the distressed or "holes" in denim trend. Like most things in fashion, there is no logic too it. It's not about "undertanding" it. It's a trend that has been a round for several years now. You like it or you don't like it. Of course, there are variations. I've seen big, gaping rips and huge holes. That's not a look a like on anyone. And then there are more subtle takes on it.

That was kind of a cruel statement," a senior citizen and obviously not a fashion person." I'm not a senior citizen yet and I don't care for the look unless maybe you're in your teens or early 20's. Everyone has their own style. I try to dress for my age.