Trusted Contributor

Re: JUst once I would like to hear a designer or host tell the truth

[ Edited ]

Don't forget the large striped tops sold with the Denim & Co TSV they said everyone looked great in. Truth is it made some models look very wide. No wonder one looked miserable wearing it. I'm sure she thought it was ugly but had to wear it for her job.

Honored Contributor

Angel does it.    Yesterday, she stood next to a model wearing the same size, but with a different type figure,  and explained how it worked for both of them.......   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I hear that message more from hosts like MBR, JB or PJD when they talk about garment care.  "This will need to be ironed/steamed.  If that is not your thing, you might want to pass on this..."

Honored Contributor

I've heard Carolyn say something wouldn't be good for a certain type a week or so ago, also Jane Brown has said not for you (usually with her about ironing).

I do think its not the usual selling tactic.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Know your figure; use your own judgement.  A salesperson is just that.

Contributor

I have been in stores and have seen women come out of a dressing room with outfits that look horrible on them. Outside was a friend waiting for them, the friend would gush all over them and tell them how great they look. I though you both need your eyes checked !!!!

Respected Contributor

I was in a high end clothing store once (looking at the clearance rack Smiley Wink).  There was a lady shopping for a big event, and she was trying on a cocktail dress.  It was way too tight, and totally not her color.  The saleswoman raved about how nice she looked and was talking her into buying it.  Shameful.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

We all have a sense of what we like or don't like to wear, but aren't we also aware that we are also seen different ways by different viewers? 

My husband will occasionally say that something looks nice on me when I least expect such an opinion- a color I rarely wear, a style that seems like a mistake. An example? Avery style jeans 👖- very slim cut but softish all direction stretch. I wasn't sure I'd ever wear them out the door, and DH loves them.

I don't get how any host or designer could EVER be held responsible for shaping the opinions of prospective buyers. Fashion choices are just too subjective to expect such a comment.

Honored Contributor

I know that their job is to sell, however a suggestion here and there would be helpful. Also they should never say everything looks good on everyone. People think that they know what looks good, but go to a mall, many could use some help.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I have heard Jill say things about certain items not looking good on certain figures.  I've heard her a number times comment that something won't work for a petite person.