Regular Contributor
On 2/5/2015 Reever said:
On 2/3/2015 maggiemay said:

I have friends who work in Bridgehampton, NY and who've had the opportunity on a few occasions to meet both Isaac and his husband. They said both are very friendly and don't put on any "airs" (at least not that they've seen).

Husband ??

Isaac got married about three years ago to Arnold Germer. He speaks of him often when he's on the Q.

Esteemed Contributor

I love ""Unzipped"" and rewatch it frequently. He is hilarious. One of my favorite lines is him explaining to an assistant what a scrim is: ""Have you been to the ballet Ever?""

Also liked the show that featured the theme song from ""The Mary Tyler Moore Show"" with Cindy Crawford.

Respected Contributor
On 2/5/2015 upallnight1 said:

I believe, wrongly or rightly, that Isaac is very appreciative of his QVC buyers. He should be. I lived in NYC when Isaac was "coming up." He made it big very fast. He was on the headlines of all of the papers, not just the mags that are/were devoted to fashion. "Nice Boy from Brooklyn Makes it Big in Couture!" But, fashion is fickle. And the publications who build people up seem to enjoy tearing them down even more.

Isaac's brand stopped being the darling of the moment. Shortly thereafter, I read his business had serious financial difficulties. I can't remember the details, this was over 20 years ago, but I think I read that someone on the business side of the company made some major mistakes. The same headlines that built Isaac up then ripped him to shreds. Over and over again. I remember reading one headline that stated it was the end of Isaac's design career. What didn't I read? I didn't read a single, nasty or negative quote attributed to Isaac Mizrahi.

Imagine living through all of that? And in your own home town, so there's no place to escape to! I admire Isaac's longevity in the very cut-throat and competitive fashion industry, where nice guys (and gals) often finish last. I admire the way he has been able to bounce back from that very dark time. I never read about him escaping into drugs or alcohol, like so many in that industry seem to do.

I admire his talent. And I think he does seem like a genuinely nice guy. He wasn't a blue blood from Manhattan like Gloria Vanderbilt (not that she's not a nice person. I wouldn't know. She's a lot more private)

Like Louis Dell Olio, another designer I admire, and me, he is a nice, middle class guy from an outer borough who loved (loves?) his mother, admired her style, and, like me, spent a lot of time noticing and being inspired by fashions from old movies, and the way that women dressed in Manhattan back in the 1960s. I loved seeing ladies walking in midtown wearing pumps and Chanel-inspired matching suits. And hats! Oh, how I miss hats, on both men and women.

Even when I've spent my monthly clothing budget, I enjoy listening to Isaac Mizrahi and Louis Dell Olio, especially when they talk about their early influences. I can relate since I grew up in the same area at about the same time.

Of course, they are both very, very different men with very different careers, albeit in the same industry. I like them both and wear items from both lines. They seem to truly have passion for what they do. I think it's a wonderful thing to be able to do what you love for a living, and for so long. In that alone, both men can be an inspiration to others.

Kudos!!! Nice, very very nice.

Frequent Contributor

I remember when isaac was the designer for Target's women's clothing.

Honored Contributor

I love the way Isaac walks up to a model, and then places a scarf just the right way and the entire outfit looks absolutely fabulous! And, yes, the fashion industry isn't the easiest, that's for sure.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor
On 2/5/2015 Wise decision said:

Upallnight: What a lovely post. Just lovely.

I agree.

Wonderful post, Uppallnight.

~Enough is enough~
Trusted Contributor
On 2/5/2015 Wise decision said:

Upallnight: What a lovely post. Just lovely.

Agree! Lovely and interesting post.

Esteemed Contributor
I enjoy watching Isaac as well when he is on the Q. But he seems like a very different person, kind of mean, on Project Runway. Is he only showing this fun side when he is selling his products?
Esteemed Contributor
On 2/5/2015 upallnight1 said:

Uncle Fester was a character on a long-running tv series in the 1960s called The Addams Family. He was a bald, barrel shaped man who only wore black, head to toe. Isaac Mizrahi was poking fun at himself, because he has become stocky and now usually wears head to toe black, like Uncle Fester, despite the fact that he urges his audience to buy and wear color. I find that refreshing. I've noticed that many well-known designers wear the same outfit, or close to it, day after day, while their job is to get women to buy as many new and different clothes as possible. Take Perry Ellis with his khaki pants and faded denim workshirts. I always found that ironic.

The Addams Family was made into two films in the 1990s. The second film went straight to video.

Thanks for the info. I have heard of the Addams Family, but never knew the different characters. Got it - I have noted that I rarely see Isaac dressed in a color other than black!

Regular Contributor

LOVE watching him. I don't usually purchase, but he opens my mind to what I can do in my own closet to make my wardrobe do more. In addition, I think he is hysterical.