Valued Contributor

Re: Is there one thing you wear despite negative feedback from friends/family?

My husband and grown children all tell me I wear my pants too loose. I feel more comfortable that way so I am sticking with it!
Super Contributor

No one has ever said anything to me.

Honored Contributor

When my 3 daughters lived at home they were the fashion police too. I just went "OK, now I know" and wear whatever I wanted.

I do remember that they used to talk about a friend's Mother who'd dress like a teenager. That was one of the worst things a Mother could do. They would say, "She acts like she's competing with her kid".

They never had to worry about that with me because I dressed like a Mom. I don't know if that was good or bad, but I was a Mom and dressed that way.

Esteemed Contributor

I wear lots of black, followed by winter palette colors. Husband makes a few comments about venturing out and wearing new colors. Fall, muted colors are his favorite and look great on him. When we shop together, I like to select gray, black and navy for him. He suggests olive, orange and gold for me. We laugh about it

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I'm sensing a hair theme here. Every time I get mine cut DH complains. Well, if he wants to go to hairdressing school and keep it up, I'd be happy to let it grow.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/8/2014 upsidedown said:

I have three daughters who are the fashion police....the only comment I get occasionally is "Mom, that makes you look like a teacher"......translation, don't wear it! I taught for 35 years so I guess sometimes it shows! I usually wear whatever it is anyway.....{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

And what is wrong with looking like a teacher? I know what you mean, though. I taught for 40 years, but high school and adults, so we did not dress quite so treachery.
Esteemed Contributor

Annabell & HC I love your hair stories. I got my hair cut short in kind of a spiky style last October. I love it and so does my DH. He said it is a really cute style on me. Before I got this new haircut I was thinking about getting a wig for when we travel. It would be so easy to pop and go. I have never liked long hair. I did have longer hair and it was blond when DH & I were dating back in the late 60's. After our first child was born and kept pulling it, I got it cut short and went natural. Never looked back.

Super Contributor

On 2/7/2014 annabellethecat said:

No but here's what happened to me. OK, so a few months ago I was looking in the bottom of a closet I don't use much. I saw something, pulled it out! The cat jumped up! I jumped up! It was a wig I'd bought from HSN about 3 years ago.

My hair has been getting terribly thin (especially right in the front). It's really been bothering me. I put the wig on and as a gag wore it out! Good Grief! Every person I saw went crazy about my hair!

I'm telling you this thing has gotten out of control! Even my Drs keep saying, "You look so good! You've lost a lot of weight!

Everyone says, "I love your hair". People I just saw a few days before (without the wig) going crazy about my hair. I've even had 2 men flirt with me about this stupid wig (they think it's my hair!). Everyone says, "You look like you're in your 40's!" I'm 67 and my hair looks like I'm 67 without the stupid wig!

Now I ask you....would you go out of the house without it after everyone going crazy when I wear it? All I can think of is, "Good grief! I must have been a mess before the wig"!

So, I ask you, what the heck do I do? I don't think of myself as thinking I'm all that. I am realistic on how I look.

I even saw some girlfriends I hadn't seen in a few years. They went crazy over my hair and wanted to know the name of my hairdresser. I tell everyone it is a wig! They say, "It looks so real"!

Summer is coming. I'm hot even in 20 degree weather! I've been using Nioxon and that comb QVC sells but my hair will never be the thickness of this stupid wig.

I tried to get some new wigs similar. So far none of them is as good looking on me as this stupid wig.

I think I'm going to give it it's own website! I have a love/hate relationship with the thing.

I only wear it when I leave the house. It's so easy to slap on.

So now you have it. My story about this stupid wig. It's not exactly something that other's dislike it's just the opposite....everyone loves the dumb thing!

This is so funny! Which wig did you get that you get so many compliments on? I saw her show one day and thought some of them looked pretty good!

Trusted Contributor

My BF thought it was funny that I kept wanting riding boots this season. He'd make whinnying noises every time I looked at a pair. Finally found some I liked for a good price and I don't care what he says! They're beautiful and comfy and I don't think they'll be going out of style anytime soon.

Super Contributor

I dress better than my family so the answer is no except for my bratty sister who likes to make fun of everything concerning me.