Respected Contributor

Is it something atrocious to be an 'older woman' ?

Exactly what is an older woman?

(IMO most feel it is about 10 years older than your own age Smiley Happy )  Of course if we are lucky we all reach glad to be alive.

I am curious as to others comments and posted in 'fashion' as I so often see " this is what an old woman would wear." I have observed the good ,bad, and ugly in all ages fashion wise. Of course after the age of ceasing to play with Barbie dolls we know what a person looks like is not necessarily what they are.

Super Contributor

Re: Is it something atrocious to be an 'older woman' ?

[ Edited ]

I think what's atrocious is others judging people by their age. If not wearing super high heels anymore or mostly wearing tunic tops that cover my problem areas is being and old woman, then count me in. My days of torturing myself just to be "fashionable" are long over and glad to see them go! My style may have changed in my mid 50's, but I'm still fashionable and sassy! 

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Trusted Contributor

I'm 65, and I am fit, look pretty good, exercise, but I always tell people I am old.  I know that.  I accept it, but I live life to the fullest, and enjoy it.  I am careful though.  I don't like wearing pants with an elastic band, or outfits that look like pjs.  I think I am careful to wear more classic like clothes.

Respected Contributor

I agree that most of us think of an "older" woman as one who is at least 10 years older than we are.  Of course, that becomes a problem when you are 90!

My problem is with people (mostly women) who appear to be ashamed of their age.  Since they do so much to try and hide it, I can only assume that's the reason.  Personally, I've always been up-front about my age.  If anyone asks me, I tell them.  I'm 67, soon to be 68.  I'm proud of every hard fought year, and I don't need people second guessing my age, so I just tell them.  Most of my friends are younger than me, but that has never been a problem.  I actually enjoy these years because my younger friends often come to me for advice or just as a sounding board.  That makes me feel really great!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Apparently to many posters on this board it is the equivalent of a mortal sin to be "old". To dress conservatively, OMG you better never go grey!! or to retire, because then you are living on their tax dollar.( the fact that isn't factually true has nothing to do with it). I am fortunate to live in a town where a large % of the population are retirees.Most of my exposure with the generations younger than I am is on this board and I find them to be pretty dismal. Fortunately, I do not find that in my nieces and nephews IRL. In our family we respect each other.

Another thing I don't understand -- why is it a sin to wear elastic waist pants? Why do people on this board think they have a right to dictate to others how to dress and do their MU or wear their hair ? Who gave them that power over others?

Respected Contributor

I too am like @2blonde - very up front about my age - who cares at this point?  We look better than our moms did at this age and I think we dress more fashionably than our mothers did too.  Comfortable shoes are the most important to me.  I would never want to go back to my 20s or 30s - ugh!  Horrible time in my life.  Proud for every year I have made it heathy on this earth. 

Honored Contributor

@MercysMom wrote:

I think what's atrocious is others judging people by their age. If not wearing super high heels anymore or mostly wearing tunic tops that cover my problem areas is being and old woman, then count me in. My days of torturing myself just to be "fashionable" are long over and glad to see them go! My style may have changed in my mid 50's, but I'm still fashionable and sassy

@MercysMom  Yes, I agree with your post.  I will be 61 this month and  I am less and less concerned about being perfect...... it is so freeing to look at myself with my silver white hair.... not perfectly flat abs... and smiling. I use to just never like myself as I never could stand up to what was considered perfect.  Now I just want to be as healthy as I can... and  just embrace my flaws(?) if that is what they are. I want to be comfortable, not wearing uncomfortable clothes and shoes just for fashion sake.  It is a change of mind that just happens  when you realize you are not young anymore. Some people chose to fight age... I chose to go with the flow... be the  best 61 year old I can be and just embrace the changes. 

Honored Contributor

Another thing I read here repeatedly is "if my employer knew my age I would lose my job" WHAT!!! If you are doing a good job of doing your job that is ALL an employer cares about. If you are only keeping your job because of your looks - then you are only holding on by a thin thread anyway.

Honored Contributor

Since there are many sour older women who post here, put down young people, brag about their gray hair and are generally nobody I want to know ...often times older woman is used as a description of them. Sadly, only here I think being older seems to describe some "Get off my lawn" types. Most older women..those over 60 are vital contributing adults who don't demean the younger generation bragging about their elastic waistband pants.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

If by atrocious, you mean extremely evil, horrifyingly wicked, or utterly appalling, No.

hocus pocus witches calm down kathy najimy calming circle

❤️😎❤️