Esteemed Contributor

InStyle magazine is no longer my favorite

Instyle magazine used to be my favorite but I've noticed in the last month since they changed their editor that the magazine is looking like every other beauty and fashion magazine on the news stands. The new April issue hit the news stands today and when I looked at it I was unimpressed by how cheap looking it has become.

From the uninspiring cover and blurbs to the non glossy cheap paper inside the magazine, there's nothing unique about InStyle magazine anymore. You can really see the industry wide cost cutting reflected in the print edition.

For $7.99 CDN news stand price, I expect a better quality magazine so I'm no longer going to be buying it and I have been a reader for a long time.

Honored Contributor

Re: InStyle magazine is no longer my favorite

Wow thanks for the heads up - I liked the magazine.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

For those who aren't tired of this magazine, discount mags.com is having a special today of a year for 9.95. I have dealt with them for years and they are reputable.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@TY If possible, please explain why you initially liked the magazine (i.e. what they had in it) and the changes they've made that you don't like.

The reason I ask is because sometimes I'll pick up a magazine that I don't usually buy just to read it (not realizing the differences they've made).  I'm just curious.

I'm a journalism junkie.  I'm always curious what affects changes in articles and how stories are reported and written.  It worries me when changes are so noticeable in something like a magazine.  Hopefully, like you suspect, it is due to cost cut backs and not the magazine thinking this is what their readers want to see and read.

Thanks if you can take a few minutes.

Esteemed Contributor

InStyle used to display their fashions examples like an inspiration board so that they would place a top with pants and accessories. Now the magazine is all about social media this and that.

I think that the new editor is making over the magazine from top to bottom but there was nothing wrong with the older style. InStyle always had a bit of that aspirational luxury factor with clean looking graphics and uncluttered pages and now it's just crowded looking like a People Stylewatch.

I really notice the change in the quality of the paper though most of all. The magazine is cheap feeling -- literally -- compared to how it used to be. If you take a look at Glamour magazine or Allure, they are also printed on cheap paper. Vogue and Vanity Fair haven't cheaped out on the print stock yet and InStyle used to be compareable.

I realize that print magazines have lost advertisers as companies prefer to spend their ad dollars on social media platforms and social media star influencers but it's really noticeable the changes if you've read InStyle for a long time.

Honored Contributor

Many years ago I had a subscription but I stopped soon after they put Britney Spears on the cover! It also used to be a lot thicker! I always loved the fact that it wasn't a gossip magazine parading as a fashion magazine. It was strictly frivolous with lots of pretty pictures; no no celebrity news! They also featured all price points which I thought was wonderful. Also they never had silly articles like Cosmopolitan would feature

Trusted Contributor

I just ordered a subscription.  Sigh

Honored Contributor

I did not renew my subscription 2 years ago. They pestered me for a year with really great deals to renew, but I didn't. The reason I stopped was because most of the fashions and trends were just getting too young for me as an older woman. I would feel silly in some of the outfit ideas they printed. I know that is the whole point of fashion - young and current trends - but I can get that info online if I want it. I prefer looking at other websites and blogs online, as well as some catalogs, for outfit ideas. 

Honored Contributor

I've noticed the same, TY1.  There's something about a fashion (or decor) magazine's rich, heavy, glossy pages that adds immeasurably to the pleasure and luxe of the reading experience.

Super Contributor

My fave fashion magazine is People stylewatch. Not to much nonsense and articles, just fashion/beauty.