Respected Contributor

Re: If you are over 50 do you wear black tops?

@Squirrel Lover

This is why I still wear black and navy blue around the face.

Winter types should wear colors that are sharp and clear. White, black, navy blue, red and shocking pink all go well with winter complexions. For lighter colors, wear icy tones rather than pastels. Avoid subdued tones like beige, orange and gold.

I had my colors done several years ago and I am a winter.  The sales associate told me the best way to know if a color is going to look good on you is to stand in front of a mirror, close your eyes, bring the garment up to your face then open your eyes.  She said you will know immediately if it is the right color and shade.  She was correct!  I can't wear gray, beige, orange or any pastel color.  Even as I have aged, I can still wear all the colors associated with the "winter season."  Even black and navy!

Super Contributor

I'm pale and don't own any black, white or beige tops. Not flattering on me. 

Respected Contributor

@Squirrel Lover Did your coloring/appearance change when you turned 50 or do you just associate certain things with being older?  I love to wear black and navy and I'm over 50.

This is similar to thinking you have to wear your hair short when you're older.  Either you look good with short hair or you don't...age makes no difference.

Respected Contributor

I'm 81 and never gave a thought to my age and what colors I wear. In fact, I can't think of anything I have changed.

Honored Contributor

I could never wear black tops when I was young because black made me look like a little old lady. Now that I am a little old lady I wear black and love it.

Respected Contributor

I've always loved black.

Honored Contributor

No, there are no black tops in my wardrobe.  I'm extremely fair and they just drain my skin of color.  Lots of black pants though.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

There are other color theorists out there.  Even the Color Me Beautiful franchise has expanded.  One of its books has twelve (12) palettes, not just four:  Color Me Beautiful's Looking Your Best.

Another one, Always in Style, by Doris Pooser, has the added benefit of showing how the palettes blend into one another.

from Always in Style

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm 53 but never wear black or dark tops in as I'm very pear-shaped. LOL.

I have noticed, though, that unless it's a very colorful black graphic tee , my 'older' super-pale complexion looks better with some color next to it, especially vibrant ones.

'Course some blush really helps, too.  ;-)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Black isn't flattering on me, never has been. I'm a light summer. I don't know if color analysis, by season, is valid for everyone.  I've had friends tell me they never could figure out how it applied to them, or felt they were misdiagnosed. 

It works in my case because I'm an obvious summer, a textbook case so to speak. Blue eyes, pale skin, ash colored hair. 

But back to black. I've found that midnight blue is a great substitute for black in my wardrobe. Another work around is to choose a black top or dress with a deep v or scoop neckline. If there is lots of skin visible, the black isn't right next to my face and seems to work better. The simplest solution is to just stay away from black lol. 

A  big revelation for me was to read about contrast and the role it plays in what does and doesn't look good on a person. I'm a low contrast person, meaning thrre is little difference or contrast between the major elements of my coloring. My hair, eyes and skin are all pale or light. I look so much better in low contrast outfits and colors. A high contrast person can look fabulous in outfits with strong contrast, a more dramatic look. 

As an example, although I can wear navy and soft white, an outfit that pairs them is jarring on me. Instead of a white shirt and navy pants - too much contrast - a light blue shirt with dark blue pants will look better. And light khaki pants with a soft color top will look even better. This has made a huge difference for me, as it explains what I have noticed, by trial and error, over the years.

Some people seem to understand color naturally. But others, like me, can use some help in figuring this stuff out!