Honored Contributor

Re: If you are over 50 do you wear black tops?

@jaxs mom wrote:

@dperry wrote:

Ladies, I was not trying to start a riot! I had my colors done and found out that I am a "soft summer", and black and dark colors apparently overwhelm and wash out this "season". You can disagree or argue I am just asking what everyone thinks of this idea to encourage fashion discussion. 

Right, but that has nothing to do with age. It has to do with your coloring. It's the same reason why I looked like ****** as a blonde and I can't wear pastels or dusty shades yet black looks wonderful as do neon brights that most people think are too bright. It's all about your skin tone ( and not your makeup). 

Exactly, @jaxs mom

If you had your colors dones, @Squirrel Lover, then why would you even bring up age?  This makes no sense and is not even what precipitated your question.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

Can you please talk about your experience and opinion of "seasonal colors" and how you feel they "work" or don't? I would appreciate your educated answers on this subject.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dperry wrote:

Ladies, I was not trying to start a riot! I had my colors done and found out that I am a "soft summer", and black and dark colors apparently overwhelm and wash out this "season". You can disagree or argue I am just asking what everyone thinks of this idea to encourage fashion discussion. 

Ah! I wondered where your question came from!

I'm an autumn. - What I learned is that it is more about finding the right shades/tones than completely eliminating colors. Use the info you got from having your colors done as a tool instead of an ironclad rulebook. If you think a color looks great on you it probably does no matter what the rules say. 

As I mentioned, I wear black (and darks) with lighter/brighter colors. It makes a big difference.

Esteemed Contributor

@dperry wrote:

Can you please talk about your experience and opinion of "seasonal colors" and how you feel they "work" or don't? I would appreciate your educated answers on this subject.

I can see how age can play a factor in your seasonal color range.  When I was in my 30's and had my colors done, I was a classic "winter".  Dark ash brown hair, deep green eyes, and a very fair complexion with cool pink undertones.  I could wear emerald green, deep sapphire, hot pink.  White never worked on me but black with the jewel tones was my winning formula. Charcoal gray was my back up and some navy.  Since I had to wear suits and travel, this selection was easy dressing.

Now fast forward to me being 60 and my hair is bright silver/white.  Brows are still dark but not as much contrast between hair and complexion.  So now, on with the dusty blues with deepened rose pink and taupes with a rosy coral.  I have gravitated to the more "summer" tones.  A wardrobe consultant gave me this cute tip:  Put on your "colors" and don't look in the mirror.  Then go to a mirror with your back to it and quick spin around to see yourself.  If you see the person (you), the colors are right, if you just see the outfit, time to make changes.  HTH

Esteemed Contributor

@dperry wrote:

Midnight navy and black are too harsh for me now at 50, but I still have a few tops in black that I haven't parted with. I wonder if I should?

@Squirrel Lover

I think I understand your fashion question.  When I was a child, I had very, very olive Mediterranean skin.  As I grew up and began this lovely thing called aging, I have lost my olive skintone and it has been replaced with a much fairer complexion.  

While I still wear some black (who doesn't need a few LBDs???) I don't think it enhances my coloring as it once might have.  I don't think I would alter (brighten) my makeup to accommodate wearing black.  That could easily make me feel clownish.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dperry wrote:

The entire seasonal colors theory escapes me. I had them done back in the day and the so called experts told me I was a Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall dependent upon who was draping me. I have come to realize that I tend towards the jewel tones of color ....think Winter but I look equally as well in the Fall tones. My porcelain toned skin allows me to wear a variety of colors. And I do not listen to sales personnel at the beauty counters. I have been told to wear cool as well as warm tones dependent upon the person selling them to me. I think people have biases depending on their own preferences.

Do I wear black? Yes, I do because I think it spells elegance......think of the little black dress. I don't wear a lot of pastels because I think they are expected as we age. I try and wear jewel tones, black, navy and some of the Fall tones which happen to look just fine.....think a camel hair coat.

So although I own both of the Color Me Beautiful books, first and second edition, I really object to the "rules." My motto is look in the mirror and hold some different color outfits in front of you. Eventually, you will find what your favorite colors are and the ones you get the most compliments from.

Trusted Contributor

I love black....and navy and do own quite a bit.  Don't get me wrong, I do love color, but but to me, black is a basic that always has its place in a wardrobe. For one thing, black is a very slimming color.   It's a classic that looks great with jeans, khakis, and white pants.

I agree with others who have said if you think black washes you out, brighten up your makeup a bit, or wear a scarf or other type of accessory like a necklace or choker with color.  I like to wear a soft shade of red lipstick when I wear black as I find it compliments black well.  I like to wear black out to dinner as I think it's always appropriate and I feel a little dressier.   And since restaurants are usually lower lit at night, you certainly wouldn't appear "washed out" wearing black then.

Navy kind of becomes my "summer black"...I wear it lots in the spring and summer.  I love navy and white for a nautical look and navy is just as slimming as black. 

I wouldn't get rid of your black tops...at least until you try maybe adding color with a scarf or jewelry or even adjusting makeup tones and lipstick just a bit.  You might find you've changed your mind!   

Esteemed Contributor

Of course, why wouldn't you?

Honored Contributor

Happily (or not) there is no color that can make me look older (or younger) than I already look.

So I wear any color I like and adjust makeup and hair color to suit.

Honored Contributor

I don't wear as much black as I once did, but when I wear a black top, I find I can often wear jewelry pieces that really stand out against the black.