Respected Contributor

Re: I need fashion advice please. What to wear to a Sept. 14th wedding on Long Island NY?

Talbots Ruched Surplice Bodice DressComes in Navy (which I personally prefer- Talbots)

Trusted Contributor

Re: I need fashion advice please. What to wear to a Sept. 14th wedding on Long Island NY?

Thanks again friends. I just ordered the champagne dress and it is on the way to me!

Super Contributor

I agree with Usedtobeoxox. This dress is far too casual for a wedding at Fox Hollow on Long Island. I am from Long Isand and attended quite a few wedding receptions there (including Fox Hollow and Crest Hollow and Leonards). There will be a gamut of styles at the reception, from Tea length to maxi dresses and skirts and satin pantsuits. Understated glam is good but don't be surprised to see a little overstated glam either. Dress it up a bit and relax, have a good time.

Honored Contributor

On 6/17/2014 HappyAndIKnowIt From NY said:

I agree with Usedtobeoxox. This dress is far too casual for a wedding at Fox Hollow on Long Island. I am from Long Isand and attended quite a few wedding receptions there (including Fox Hollow and Crest Hollow and Leonards). There will be a gamut of styles at the reception, from Tea length to maxi dresses and skirts and satin pantsuits. Understated glam is good but don't be surprised to see a little overstated glam either. Dress it up a bit and relax, have a good time.

Ha I got married at Leonards on May 16, 1993 Smiley Happy

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

On 6/17/2014 dperry said:

Thanks again friends. I just ordered the champagne dress and it is on the way to me!

My friend was the mother of the groom at a NYC wedding. She also wore a brocade champagne sheath dress...you'll fit right in!

Super Contributor

If it helps, I wore a black lace, tea length cocktail dress at the last reception I attended on Long Island. I believe the reception was at Crest Hollow (but that was some years ago).

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/17/2014 Usedtobeoxox said:

Just looked at their website and the hotel looks fairly upscale. Long Island in mid September could either be 90 degrees or 60 degrees, very changeable weather.

I grew up very near Fox Hollow, and I'm in Long Island all the time, so I feel qualified to weigh in on this subject!

It is much more likely to be hot than cold. Some of the best "summer" weather in this area happens in September. Warm & sunny! (Unless of course it rains, which it did when I got married years ago - also in September on Long Island.)

I would not wear a long dress for a 12:00 wedding, but rather something shorter and just a bit dressy or classic. But I honestly think you really can't go wrong. People wear pretty much everything to weddings these days.

Kiss

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/17/2014 dperry said:

The wedding will be held in ""The Inn at Fox Hollow."" Does that help?

Beautiful place- the grounds are stunning! I've been to several events there. The champagne dress sounds really nice- have a little shawl or something in case you feel a chill later in the day.

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/17/2014 HappyAndIKnowIt From NY said:

Ha I got married at Leonards on May 16, 1993 Smiley Happy

Huntington Towne House 1986 here!!! I heard it's now a Lowes. The marriage didn't last either! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/17/2014 Luvmycats said:

Diane von Furstenberg - New Julian Printed Silk Wrap DressDVF Wrap-Saks-A steal at $219- on sale

I have lived in NY all my life and think this is way to casual for a Long Island wedding

Me too. And I agree. I honestly think it's way too casual for any wedding, no matter where it is.

Kiss