Respected Contributor

Re: I got rid of my bootcut jeans

I don't find bootcut jeans flattering, and I don't think they balance the hips at all. They make wide hips look wider IMO. Although I like my skinny jeans, I think straight leg is almost always the most universally flattering and classic look.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Valued Contributor

I don't know what I will do when skinny jeans are "out" again.  My whole look is based on them and they are the most flattering for my body.

The other day I pulled a pair of jeans from the back of the closet and they were bootcut jeans that I missed the last time I purged I nearly laughed my head off when I put them on, they looked so ridiculous. Cant believe I wore them.

Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

I don't find bootcut jeans flattering, and I don't think they balance the hips at all. They make wide hips look wider IMO. Although I like my skinny jeans, I think straight leg is almost always the most universally flattering and classic look.

I never found them to be all that flattering either, especially if you aren't tall, which I'm not.  If you carry weight in your lower half like I do, I'm not sure how having a pant fitted through the thigh and upper calf, then widening out, is balancing or flattering.  I also never liked a bootcut pant with any type of flat shoe.

I do have some "slight" bootcuts but nothing exaggerated.  I much prefer a straight leg jean.

Respected Contributor

Once before when boot cuts were discussed, some people were describing and posting photos of what I would call bell bottoms or flares (?).  I think we don't all picture the same thing when we hear boot cut.  My boot cuts are just enough to fit over my shoes.  They are not wide at all.

I know what @Lipstickdiva means and I am the same.  If I wear skinny jeans I always wear a long top.  To me they fit like leggings, and even though I don't wear leggings, I wouldn't wear them without a long top.

Respected Contributor

I am always tripping on the bottoms of my 'bootcuts' -- mine are gone too~!

Respected Contributor

And I meant enough to cover the top of my shoe, not the whole shoe :-) 

Honored Contributor

I'm petite and for me it's just too much material. I think taller people look nice in them.  We all don't like the same things so wear what pleases you

Honored Contributor

I agree, @cherry, wear what you like. I myself, love my slight, bootcut jeans. I live in mine.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Lipstickdiva

Yes I get the fitted v. loose but I'm referring to length.

You said you wore long over a skinny jean but dont your jeans fit the same through the waist and hips?

I wholehearedly agree on the Iman TS. I don't think the long loose tunic over long loose pants did anyone any favors.

Through the waist yes but they don't fit the same through the hip.  My skinny jeans are very fitted on me through the hip area.  My straight leg or trouser jeans are looser on me and fall differently down the leg. 

I personally just don't like the look of a long, loose tunic with a jean that flares or bells at the bottom.  The proportion looks off to me.  It has nothing to do with how they fit through the waist and hips.   

I agree. For me, it's either extra fabric on the top, or on the bottom, but not both. A long, flowy top worn with bootcut, flared, or palazzo pants looks like pajamas to me, besides adding too much bulk.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

Bootcut balances the hips and actually are more flattering IMO.  I hate tight skinny jeans, feel like sausage, even tho I'm small.  Personal preference I guess.