Honored Contributor

I don't care what you call it...

'French terry' is still sweatshirty material!

i'm having difficulty understanding the popularity of the use of this fabric. It has no structure to speak of and is generally heavy.

Am I alone on this? Discuss (please)

Respected Contributor

Re: I don't care what you call it...

The French terry I have is light weight, very casual fabric. Depends on the presenter's description 

Respected Contributor

Well, the "French" gives it kind of an exotic flair, don't ya think?

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

Here's my take on french terry.  It's lightweight with no structure.  It's less than sweatshirt material.  There is nothing to the inside of the fabric to make it substantial and after washing it, it looks worse.  French terry is like a sweatshirt without the backing (fleece).  I dislike it and won't purchase it.  It's also rough on the inside and not soft to the skin.  I'd rather wear a cotton t-shirt.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Respected Contributor

Easy care, easy wear.  Lightwear, lighter than my sweatshirt annd so comfortable.  Maybe that's the reason for popularity.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't care what you call it either, but I love it!  It's cold here in the winter months and I wear some kind of sweatshirty material every single day.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The only thing I've had in French terry was when Issac did those nice jean jackets with gold buttons for spring about four years ago.  He had off white, navy, citron, and another color.  The cuff on the white turned back to yellow.  The outside of the fabric was very smooth, so it was a better grade.

Loved those jackets!  They looked great with collared shirts and cotton slacks.  I wore them to death!  Would love to see them again!

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

'French terry' is still sweatshirty material!

i'm having difficulty understanding the popularity of the use of this fabric. It has no structure to speak of and is generally heavy.

Am I alone on this? Discuss (please)

Actually a true sweat shirt material does not have a "looped" inside but rather has a fleece-like side to it, usually used on the inside of the garment and both sides are soft and casual.  This feece-like material can be very thick to rather thin.  This is the material usually associated with sweatshirts, sweat pants and zip up hoodies. 

French Terry is also soft and casual and a knit fabric but has a 25% mechanical stretch across the grain. It also has a looped side to the fabric which is usually used for the inside of the garment.  Usually much thinner than a sweatshirt material and it generally runs thinner and lighter than a conventional sweatshirt but can indeed be a heavy, thicker garment.

As a life long sewer, I love both materials as both are used for casual wear however IMHO French Terry has a "better" look to it, more defined, generally less bulk, easy to wear to more functions, etc.

I believe that French Terry is more popular than regular sweatshirt material based on the many variations of styles that seem to be made from it and not made in the old sweatshirt material.  I personally love French Terry and have a couple of hoodies I love out of the material.  I also have sweatshirts that have hoods on them.... the difference for me is that I'll wear my regular sweatshirts around our property doing chores and I wear my French Terry Hoodies out for a casual dinner..... Woman LOL 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I also do not care what you call it.  Any really unstructured fabrics or designs are wrong for my figure and I don't buy them no matter who sells them. 

I also think it's great that we all have choices; for me the frustrating thing would be if we all had to wear the same fabrics and more or less the same colors all the time.

The #1 worst top I could buy would be a pale pastel top with a dolman sleeve made out of a floppy fabric --and yet, I've seen others who look just fine in that top I'm imagining. And that's why I do understand why pieces I'd never buy are popular.

Honored Contributor

I neither like it nor dislike it.  I will say however, I only wear what I have of it in a casual way.  Translation:  I seldom leave the house in it.