Respected Contributor

How should a T shirt fit?

[ Edited ]

Or maybe I should be asking, "How do you like a T shirt to fit?"

I've always liked tee shirts that are shaped for a woman's body, but that skim the body and aren't skin tight.

This is now a problem with my favorite Talbot's tees, especially their signature ballet neck 3/4 sleeve tee.

For years, I bought size small and they fit perfectly. Lately they've gotten longer and tighter each year. I think they are trying to attract a younger crowd.

For flat-chested women (their models) this might not be a problem. But it is for me. The last tee I bought ended up being a petite medium (size 8-10). That's the size I needed to get a little ease in the chest area.

Here's an example:

Varsity Stripe Pima Cotton Bateau-Neck Tee

Now on the model that's cute. On me, it will give the Lana Turner Sweater Girl look.

I realize this is a first-world problem, but I just had to get it off my chest (no pun intended).

Views, comments?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How should a T shirt fit?

[ Edited ]

images.jpg

Jackie O wore them best. This is the fit I like.

Fitted, shorter with a capped sleeve.

Very hard to find these days as you've pointed out.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Trusted Contributor

I had to go up a size for shirts at talbots

Honored Contributor

I like a fitted v neck with short sleeves or 3/4 length sleeves.

Chicos has a ballet neck with 3/4 sleeves that fits me like a dream. 

Honored Contributor

It should fit however you feel comfortable in it, both physically comfortable and comfortable about how it looks on you.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

It should fit however you feel comfortable in it, both physically comfortable and comfortable about how it looks on you.

I think you've nailed it. 

I'm just not comfortable in skin-tight clothes.

I forgot to add about Talbots, that while their tees have gotten tighter, the fabric has gotten thinner and thinner!! Not a good combination IMO.

Super Contributor

I don't like them skin tight that's for sure.  Last time I went to the Gap to pick up a few of their basic t's I couldn't beleive how small they were!  I'm like a size 8 and usually wear a medium shirt.  Even when I held up the large I had to laugh because it would have been like a body glove!

Esteemed Contributor

I think Jackie O's T above is almost perfect.  I am short-waisted and a longer, fitted T does me no favors.  In fact, I think they are best worn by someone tall and slim with no tummy, hips or bootie.  They don't even look good when they have to skim the fly of jeans and look rather terrible when they "cup the entire butt".  

Honored Contributor

Answers to questions like this are not a one answer fits all. Alot depends on the person's personality and how much they are comfortable showing. Also, on the person's body. A 3x would certainly wear her clothes differently than a xxs.

Respected Contributor

i like the jackie o fit myself.  if they are too loose they can look sloppy.