Honored Contributor

Head coverings: Which ones do you choose to wear in windy/cold weather?

I've decided to look for a scarf this year. I don't care a lot for the hoods on some of the coats I have, and I don't want big and heavy ones that weigh the hair down.

So what sort of head covering do you choose, if any?

Honored Contributor

Re: Head coverings: Which ones do you choose to wear in windy/cold weather?

I have a gigantic head, and thick hair, so I opt for a hood on my coats when possible.  I do have a few winter hats, but those are usually things I have to try on.  Some hats are like wearing a tourniquet on my head, and if it's any length of time I'll get a raging headache.  

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

I have a gigantic head, and thick hair, so I opt for a hood on my coats when possible.  I do have a few winter hats, but those are usually things I have to try on.  Some hats are like wearing a tourniquet on my head, and if it's any length of time I'll get a raging headache.  

Thanks for my early morning laugh!

Esteemed Contributor

I laughed at Lola's comment, too! Woman LOL

I, too, feel like my head is in a vise with some headwear. Mostly, though, I don't wear snug head coveringings because I don't want to deal with helmet-head for the rest of the day. I like hoods. My head covering of choice? An UMBRELLA!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

I like both hoods and hats.  It depends on what I'm doing.  For commuting to work or normal running around I like my hood.  I can pull it up at a moment's notice for protection.  I do a lot of walking so I wear hats too.  If the weather is really cold I wear a hat and hood. 

Honored Contributor

Oh I never wear anything on my head but if I must it'll just be my hood.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I don't like hoods at all -- they block my peripheral vision, and one gust of wind they fly off my head.  I LOVE berets, I have one in every color!

Honored Contributor

I have a lot of thick hair and I  usually wear it up; twists, buns , ponytail. I can't wear hats.  I have several huge, square silky or silk scarves.  I wear those in different ways to cover my head, ears, neck.  When it's very cold and windy, I wear a coat with a hood over the scarf.  And....if it's sub zero and I'm going to have to walk a distance, I tie a wool scarf on top of the hood. Warmth is all about layering.  

Honored Contributor

I don't like hats.

I generally choose coats with hoods so if I get caught in the elements I can pull it over my head until I get out of the rain or snow.

Esteemed Contributor

Ear muffs!   I don't like anything on my head and don't wear a scarf unless it's absolutely, positively necessary.

I have a knit "tube" thing that is sort of like an eternity neck scarf.  My mom gave it to me decades ago and I only wear it in the coldest, nastiest weather.  It's worn around the neck (again, like an eternity scarf), but is pulled up over the head when you need it.  Head, neck and ears are covered in a knit tube.  I don't know what it's called - the only label on it is the washing instructions.  It doesn't flatten my hair and is very warm since it tucks into the neck of my coat. Easy to pull up and down when you need it.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt