Respected Contributor

Re: Hanging on to old clothes

On 3/17/2015 halfpint said:

I have way too many clothes. I have them in boxes. My son introduced me too thrift shops and they are cheaper than GW or SA. I spend less than $3 for a top. And they look brand new or actually are. It's something to do for me; getting out. I don't drive. I do need advice where I can give shoes to for I have over 50 and most never worn. I can't get into a 6 any more. I would like for someone in need to really have them not to sell them.

Dear Halfpint,

How kind of you to think of others regarding giving your shoes away.

My husband and I usually take a couple loads of things a year to donate to our local Goodwill facility. We also watch the news for the disasters that seem to happen more in the spring (floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.) and drop off clothing and housewares donations to wherever the red cross says is the best place to leave them is.

We also have donated clothing to the Salvation Army, battered women's shelter, and two charities that help women get professionally dressed so they can get better jobs: attitude for attire and dress for success.

Valued Contributor

I thought it was normal to keep and wear clothes for 10 yrs or so. I am always proud they still fit and that I have really liked what I spent hard earned $ on!! I was raised by parents from depression era who struggled and new clothes didn't come our way often. I never try to tell my mother how she should dress (she is 89). She often has clothes that are well over 10 yrs old. I would be offended if my daughters told me how to dress! To each his own.

Honored Contributor

On 3/18/2015 HB glamma said:

I thought it was normal to keep and wear clothes for 10 yrs or so. I am always proud they still fit and that I have really liked what I spent hard earned $ on!! I was raised by parents from depression era who struggled and new clothes didn't come our way often. I never try to tell my mother how she should dress (she is 89). She often has clothes that are well over 10 yrs old. I would be offended if my daughters told me how to dress! To each his own.

I don't tell my MIL how to dress, but it would be nice to see her wear the Irish sweater we bought her a few years ago. Like you, she continues to wear what still fits and is in good condition, just also keeps anything new in storage...whether she bought it or it was given to her as a gift as I mentioned in my 2 previous posts...sigh...oh well.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely I hang onto some old clothes - although I'm pretty sure I've done that all my life so it's not necessarily a function of age. Some of my older clothes are made of excellent fabric, fit well, and really are so classic, their age isn't very important.

Yesterday I went to a St. Pat's party in old clothes, but I guess since all of us were Medicare eligible, it might not even matter. One of the men in the group actually set me up for a blind date while we stood chatting over dessert. I doubt he had any idea how old my outfit was - nor do I know if he knew and just didn't care.

Esteemed Contributor

To me, it seems that most styles and trends are repeats of past decades. They are just not novelty to me. I have clothes I've kept and used for years. I'm comfortable with them. I know of females that can't afford to go out and purchase new every season or every year. Some don't want to spend because they want to have money to leave their grandchildren, etc. It's everyone's personal choice.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

my mother saves her clothes forever and her coats too. she was a coat lover, always looking at coats and buying coats. Mom has racks of 25 year-old coats she never wears. Nice wool tweed coats and fur trimmed hooded coats but she always bought them a size or two larger, so she could wear a blazer under the coat and they were cut bigger at the time too. they are too big for me too! it is so difficult to convince her to donate these garments. she went all around to consignment shops and they won't take them because the styles are too dated. i feel bad for her, she now wishes she had saved her money instead of shopping the wau she did. for this reason i am careful to not over buy and also donate items i don't wear.

Super Contributor

I buy a lot of classics, aka 'essentials,' not necessarily on Q, & I take good care of them so they last. However, I get tired of them and rotate in new stuff all the time. Some trendy pieces :-)

My mom had really old clothing, some that I would consider vintage, but she wore newer pieces. Nothing trendy.

Honored Contributor

I HATE to clean out closets!

Honored Contributor

On 3/18/2015 ECBG said:

I HATE to clean out closets!{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}...

Seriously though, purging on a regular basis helps it not be so painful Smile

Honored Contributor

If you still like something, why get rid of it? If you find something new that you like or need and can afford, buy it. I don't agree with throwing away clothes just because you have owned them for years.