Super Contributor

HELP! Lola and other fashionistas! I have a challenge for you.

Dh and I were invited to a fancy schmancy dinner. It's one of those $2000 a plate charity affairs, but we're invited because he volunteers so many hours a week at the senior center.

In other words, I don't have the budget for a fancy schmancy dress and being petite and not so skinny, I'm hard to fit in dresses.

Can I get away with a fancy top and slacks of some kind? It's not black tie.

I'd be grateful for suggestions.

Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: HELP! Lola and other fashionistas! I have a challenge for you.

Wow, what fun! Yes, I think you can wear slacks. I would take the time to find just the right top, jewelry and shoes to go with a nice pair of crepe slacks or any fabric that is dressy. Have fun!

Respected Contributor

My DH volunteers a lot and we get invited to similar parties.

I agree with momtodogs that dressy pants and a beautiful top would be fine. In fact, black pants and a glitzy top is kind of a uniform for those occasions where we live.

Of course, pants don't have to be black; it's just that many women have them and wear them. I like other colors (champagne, winter white, bronze).

Honored Contributor

What about something like these from CC (on sale now), paired with black pants/skirt and a wrap or cardi.

Luna lace shell - [K19134] Chevron sequin shell - [K15913]

Honored Contributor

Yes, you can.

Linea by Louis DellOlio Button Front Jacket with Pocket Detail - A233851A233851 in blush OR Linea by Louis DellOlio Printed Drape Front Jacket - A233854A233854 in blush

Linea by Louis DellOlio Fly Front Pants Petite Fit - A233853A233853 in black

A nice black shell with some pearls finishes the look with black heels.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

I love those Chico's traveler's pants (matte jersey) just for this type of occasion--if I remember, you're short like me; they have an ankle length which is great because they're not overwhelming even though they're a wider leg; they swish and move beautifully, and can be paired with a dressy top and shoes. The best part is that you can actually wear them again, for a dressed down occasion. (No, I don't work for Chico's!){#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Super Contributor

Thanks, ladies. I was hoping to be able to get a glitzy top to wear with a nice pair of slacks. I do want sleeves on the top, because jackets and shrugs overwhelm me when I'm dressed up. I need something simple, but classy, with sleeves.

Frequent Contributor

Yep, slacks would be appropriate - especially if you don't like your arms or legs. Just try to accentuate one of your best features.
Honored Contributor

On 2/12/2014 house cat said:

Thanks, ladies. I was hoping to be able to get a glitzy top to wear with a nice pair of slacks. I do want sleeves on the top, because jackets and shrugs overwhelm me when I'm dressed up. I need something simple, but classy, with sleeves.

Black bottoms like "car washer" pants definately and a nice top-often easy to fine at resale shops because people that wear a lot of them wear them only once. You will look lovely whatever you wear, Housecat!

They can be worn over and over-just change the top! These are from Dillards.

Super Contributor

On 2/12/2014 ECBG said:
On 2/12/2014 house cat said:

Black bottoms like "car washer" pants definately and a nice top-often easy to fine at resale shops because people that wear a lot of them wear them only once. You will look lovely whatever you wear, Housecat!

They can be worn over and over-just change the top! These are from Dillards.

Oooooh… I love these. I'll see if they have petites.