Valued Contributor

Glad to be alive after my Appendix burst!!

Hi Girls,

I am finally recovering from my burst appendix.  The lesson to learn from my experience, don't try and be a tough guy and drive on through the pain!!!

I have Crohn's disease, not bad only have an attack about once a year. Well late May, I started getting Crohn's like pains.  So like I usually do, after a day of the horrible pain in my right side, I started on Prednisone. It usually starts working after a couple of days dosage.  Well after the third day and no relief from the pain, I decided that it was not my Crohn's after all.  

My husband came home from work and I told him I better go to the walk-in clinic.  So long story short, they scheduled a CT scan.  After leaving the clinic, the walk in doc said go home, pack a bag and we have a bed waiting for you at the hospital.  So we did. Now this is the interesting part.  I went in on Wednesday and they didn't do the surgery until Friday?? I don't get it. 

So I thought I was going to get better and I was on pain meds for the pain.  After a week and a half, I was getting really short of breath.  So after five days of this, I finally called my husband at work and told him we needed to go to the ER.  Well, I thought I was having a heart attack, but didn't tell my husband that, he would have totally freaked.  So we went to the ER, got in right away because they thought I might be having a heart attack.  Turned out my chest had filled with fluid, collapsed my lung. They drained a liter of fluid off my chest two days later.  So after a month, I am feeling sort of human again.  

The other lesson to be learned from this, don't self diagnose!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Glad to be alive after my Appendix burst!!

Glad you are OK!!!

My daughter has active Crohn's disease and started having type of stomach pain that wasn't like a Crohn's flare-up....she went to the ER and found out it was gall stones.....

You just never know what it could be...best to get checked out just in case...

Respected Contributor

Oh my goodness, you have been through a lot!

I'm glad you're finally on the mend. Hope you're taking it easy.

Respected Contributor

Cookie, so glad you made it! As we age we can no longer be nonchalant because illnesses generally are more serious. I thought I was having an appendix attack recently and it was excruciating and terrifying.
Esteemed Contributor

What a horror story!  I can't imagine the pain you were in, and glad to hear you're finally better. You waited a lot longer than I would have to go to the doctor or ER, and it sounds like the complications were worse than the original problem.  

My son (who is single) woke me one night about 3:00 a.m. ringing my doorbell.  He was in such pain he could hardly walk and I don't know how he drove to my house, and he had the symptoms of appendicitis.  We're close by a hospital, so went right over.  

While sitting in the waiting room to be seen, he started turning white, and I was almost yelling at them to do something or he was going to faint and fall right out of the chair (not sure if I said I would sue them!! I was upset...).  They took him in and from 4:00 a.m. until afternoon they kept saying they were sure it was appendicitis, but they kept doing different things to prove it and he was in excruciating pain most of that time.  They finally did surgery that afternoon around 4:00 p.m.  I still don't know why they took so long, when they kept saying from the get-go that they were SURE it was his appendix.  But he was discharged the next day and was fine.  

Esteemed Contributor

Holy smokes! What a harrowing experience. Be well!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Respected Contributor

Why would they have waited for two days? Clearly,.it wasn't a burst appendix. An emergency surgery would have been warranted and you would have been taken to OR asap. Were they monitoring you? Seems risky.
Honored Contributor

Did they explain what caused the fluid? Did you have a drain tube in you?
Honored Contributor

The appendix was already ruptured and fluid and infection needed to be removed to prevent their spread.  Oh, dear.  Please.  She is the one who was ill.  Don't try to play doctor without the proper training.  

Honored Contributor

Bless your heart... I'm very glad you are ok as well!

My Grandmother died of a burst appendix....

2 years ago in November my DH and I were having lunch out and I suddenly got radiating pains that went across my shoulders, up my neck and down both arms to my elbows.  My first thought was "uh oh".... a heart attack.  We went right to the ER.

They were wonderful.... stat test upon test, blood work, everything but nothing was showing a heart attack and they wanted to be positive so I was set up for a Cat Scan.

Long story short..... heart in great shape, but I have a pinched nerve in my neck that caused all this!

Always go in.... never "tough" it out.....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*