Super Contributor

Getting Rid of Skinny Clothes :-(

Three years ago I was 30 pounds lighter and 3 sizes smaller than I am now. I was newly divorced at the time, had lost weight, and bought lots of fun and sexy clothes. Since that time the weight slowly krept back on and despite numerous attempts to lose it, I remain at this weight. As if that wasn't bad enough, I"m now faced with a closet that overfloweth as I've gradually been adding to my "skinny" clothes with "not-so-skinny" clothes. I'd put off the dreaded chore of getting rid of the skinny clothes long enough and today decided to face the inevitable. I'm having such a hard time letting go of the idea that I'll (probably) never wear these clothes again but I feel that I've clung to that hope long enough. It's not that I'm giving up on trying to lose the weight, it's just that I feel that I need to face the truth and accept that I'm no longer "skinny". I'm finding that sorting through and packing up the skinny clothes is a very difficult process... those clothes seemed to represent a certain special time of my life and I want it back. I don't want to become "matronly" and "frumpy" but that's what I feel like I've become.

Has anybody else ever had to do this and if so, what advice can you offer?

I've kept out a pair of my most favorite "skinny" jeans to act as a reminder to help me to get back there but I also don't want to have to feel bad and get depressed every time I see them. Help!