Respected Contributor

Re: Frustrated with Q's use of Social Media!

And now many are touting their Twitter accounts! 

If the purpose of the company is to sell then why not post all the products for sale on  the day. Then those that want to know if  1. you can dress it up or dress it down, 2. make it makes great gifts, 3. it is eay wear easy care  yadda, yadda can tune in for the dog and pony show. 

I would like to see/hear less chatting per show. Q used to have shows called Quick Takes in which items were shown quickly and efficiently without all the gab. Q used to do preview of most of the shows items including numbers. 

The Q wears me out. I needed some ponte pants and had IM in my cart. I live 55 miles from Talbots and Chicos but I just did my shopping at the stores in peace and quiet. 

Honored Contributor

It is a mind game to make people impulse buy this 'special" item -- and it appears to be working.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: FI rustrated with Q's use of Social Media!

[ Edited ]

Didn't Lisa Robertson start the facebook feeding frenzy by offering her Gucci knockoffs early upon signing into her fb page?  

I think QVC might be testing the water for cutting back on 24/7 broadcasting.  Did anyone recently take the second survey they sent via e-mail.  I got the distinct impression questions were geared at cutting back on broadcasting (something I have been predicting for a while now).  

Not social media, but the lamest marketing ploy is the Insider.  Currently, I don't believe there is a charge to customers for the Insider, so it isn't like that mag buys the consumer anything special.  Yet if a kind poster shares a picture or an item number with fellow posters, it is immediately poofed. 

I will never understand the secrecy of goods a company is in business to sell.  Color me confused.  

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

And now many are touting their Twitter accounts! 

If the purpose of the company is to sell then why not post all the products for sale on  the day. Then those that want to know if  1. you can dress it up or dress it down, 2. make it makes great gifts, 3. it is eay wear easy care  yadda, yadda can tune in for the dog and pony show. 

@granddi  I agree.  And admittedly, I have not joined into much social networking at all (I'm one of the older crowd!) and may not ever - I don't know yet.  But why would a company alienate any of its customers by not making everyting available to all (not just on FB or frwom Twitter, or whatever)?  Once we could order by computer, people were still allowed to order by phone, the "anitiquated" way.  A huge part of the population - and whether Q's biggest demographic or not - a very loyal custoemr based who has been shopping with Q for many years, is getting denied access to some things that others aren't, by whatever Q does only on FB or only on Twitter or whatever.   

I agree - if a company is a profit-making company and in business to sell - make all products available toe veryone and at the same time.  While making someone maybe feel "special" by giving them access to something others who aren't quiite as technologically up-to-date don't have, they make indeed feel "special" but otheres feel disgruntled and alienated.

Contributor

QVC is TRYING to capture the customers in their 20' and 30's.  I have no idea what they were thinking about buying Zulily which is aimed at the millennials, maybe that is why.  Everything I read in the business and fashion journals say Zulily had its day and is on the way out like Groupon.  Will be interesting to watch.  Millennials what everything now, for free or little cost especially with shipping, so good luck to any business trying to figure them out.  Stick to the people who have deeper pockets mostly their parents and grandparents!Smiley Wink

@jewelfool wrote:

I was reading the other day (maybe on these boards) about QVC buying Zulilly and that QVCs demographics have changed over the last few years down to the age 20s and  30s group instead of the 40s and 50s.  I don't know if that's true or not, but did read it in the article about QVC's plans for Zulilly.

Trusted Contributor

Honestly, I think being frustrated won't do much good for anyone because they plan to move forward and do more social media and its the wave of present and future.  More young people tap into social media and even FB is too "old" for many of them.  The ease of getting to something by using their app on their phone or electronic device is the way most of them do business now.  In all the stores I see more and more people using their electronic devices to give coupons and even pay for their items.  I really see the Q transitioning into this type of thing in the near future.  Now if they only would follow through with more youthful clothing and shoes they might be successful in their endeavor. 

Honored Contributor

I get the feeling Q doesn't particularly care to cater to us older viewers. They figure we are here for the duration (meaning until we die) and they should work on the younger potential customers instead. That is the only reason I can see for this inane Facebook concentration. Well, when they start that stuff the channels get checked. More and more lately I'm landing on Evine. Most of their hosts approach selling in a mature manner and treat the viewer with respect. Sure there's fun, especially with vendors like Chuck Clemency, but I don't find the aggravation I do with some of the QVC shows lately.
Honored Contributor

One must understand the psychology of selling. Everything that's done is calculated to get the most impulse buying possible from us, the viewers. We need to be able to resist all of the hype. I find this whole "social media" phenomenon very annoying.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

QVC is not aone in begging customers to 'like' or 'follow' them in social media. I see those requsts from companies everyday. My own policy is not to provide free advertising for any mega company, though I will 'like' small local businesses that I truly do support.

I have never felt shut out from purchasing an item from QVC because of Facebook.  Far from cutting out long time customers: they are adding other means of shopping that free up the phone lines for those who prefer that method.  Maybe I'm not paying close attention -- or I don't purchase often enough -- but Facebook isn't to blame for my buying habits with QVC.

Esteemed Contributor

Iwantcoffee wrote:

I think it is smart for QVC or any business to use social media to promote their product and services, but when I watch a show I want to hear about the products, not Facebook.

I think I hearted almost every post on this thread, but Iwantcoffee comes closest to my feelings about the topic of QVC and social media.  Unlike some of my contemporaries (people over 60) who are completely refusing to venture into social media, I am quite adept at using it.  However, when I am watching QVC TV I feel the focus should be on the moment ... the live televison presentation -- not their social media action.  That said there's not going to be a reverse to their social media strategy.  If anything it will probably increase.  Hosts and vendors will have to play along and those customers who wish to do so may, and those of us who want to ignore it can put the whole thing on pay not mind.  If I miss out on anything my life isn't upset, and I don't need sneak peeks at anything.  There's nothing being sold by QVC, or any other retailer, I put in the category of I'm dying to see it and can't wait to buy it.