Regular Contributor

Formal Wedding Attire Question

Husband and I have been invited to a wedding in New Orleans.  Have never been there before.  Hubs knows the groom.  I have never met bride or groom.  Wedding invite says iong dress or formal cocktail for wedding and "southern smart cocktail attire" for reheasal dinner.

I am assuming formal cocktail would be a dressy, short dress and "southern smart' would be a nice dress.  I do not have a long gown other than my wedding dress from 33 years ago so shopping is in order.  I also need a dress for the reheasal dinner.  My lifestyle is pretty casual these days.

Some advice please from those of you who have attended a formal wedding on what type of gown or dress would be appropriate.  I would prefer to get a short cocktail dress as I might actually wear again.  Have been looking online and am somewhat distressed to see the choices are pretty much dowdy or hook*r.

Respected Contributor

Re: Formal Wedding Attire Question

linda, i can only tell you what i would do.  i would definitely go for the short cocktail dress because you want to be able to wear that again.

if you have a nordstrom nearby, call and make an appointment with a personal shopper.  they are free and she will help you make a choice.  that is if you find something you like.

macy's may also have personal shoppers too.

i get too overwhelmed when i have to shop and find these women to be extremely helpful and i end up being well dressed in spite of myself sometimes.

good luck!

Trusted Contributor

Do you have a Nordstrom or other upscale department store nearby?  Most better stores have personal shoppers that will help you make a selection. If a short cocktail dress fits your lifestyle better, wear one. You could also wear dressy pants and a more formal top or jacket.

Honored Contributor

Try Lord and Taylor they have good dress departments and there is usually a personal shopper available.

I think Nordstrom is a bit staid (the one by me is anyway would not be my first choice)

Honored Contributor

Ivanka+Trump+Dresses+Skirts+Cocktail+Dress+TCNVMOAYVcml.jpg

Sorry the pic is so big, tried to crop it, didn't work. This is an Ivana Trump dress, something like this might be suitable. Not sure where this is sold, or if it comes in other colors. It's just a sample of the type dress that might work for you.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

e555a995b2b2dacd47712b5072798c42.jpggorgeous-Ivory-Middle-East-Evening-Dresses-with-Pants-gold-embroidery-prom-dress-vestidos-de-festa-custom.jpg

Last outfit, you would need to choose another color.  Only the bride can wear white on HER day. LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Linda129

If you tell me the size/price/color, I'll find a few online choices for you.

Regular Contributor

thanks ladies.  Live in the Seattle are so plenty of Nordstrom's around.  I have checked the online site and also looked at Macy's and Dillard's.  Was trying to stay below $300  as I also need shoes.  Not real fond of all the lace that seems to be on everything. Also do not want the girls hanging out. I have picked out a few Ralph Lauren dresses.  Normally wear a size 6.  

I love Nordstrom but lately their SA's have been annoying.  I run in there to try on a few things and the SA starts bringing in all these items she thinks I would like.  Ummm. No. I realize they are trained to do that but I dont think I have ever liked or bought one of their "suggestions".

I do need help making sure I have proper "stuff" on underneath.

Regular Contributor

BTW  - I haven't been on the forum for awhile.  I seemed to have lost all my posts and my original forum sign-up date which was in 2006.

Honored Contributor

@Linda129

$100