Regular Contributor

Re: Fashion ladies...can I get your opinion

Wearing something more than jeans and a sweatshirt is hardly getting "dressed up"...the fact that some consider that dressed up is, in fact, the problem...society has already slipped over the line from casual to sloppy...and few seem to know how to do casual so it isn't sloppy, unfortunately. Putting on makeup, a chunky watch, cute boots or flats and grabbing a slouchy leather tote will take you a long way from sloppy...and not take much time...and you're still wearing that sweatshirt if you want to...however, I'm sure that is not what those who just live in t's and sweats are doing...and, unfortunately, it shows.
Trusted Contributor

I really enjoyed this thread and reading all the answers. I too love clothes and like to dress. I work part-time as I retired previously but still love to buy clothes. When I retired, I said I will miss buying nice clothes for work and my husband said you don't have to stop as that is your hobby. I realized he was right and now since I work part-time I get to use my nice clothes and I am always shopping for new items. I also like make-up and costume jewelry. I buy the most inexpensive jewelry and I always seem to get compliments on it and it just makes me laugh since it didn't cost that much. I do not wear jeans much but on my days off and the weekends I usually wear nice slacks and a nice top so I try to be neat when I go out.

Miata 1

Honored Contributor

On 2/11/2014 BeckiWV said:

Wear what you want and what makes you feel good. There is nothing wrong with enjoying looking your best if that's what you prefer. You go girl!

Agree.

I am in my early 50s. I am still working, but I am definitely more dressed up than any of my co workers - whether they be 20 something or 60 something. Everyone is just so casual and laid back in attire these days. I like looking nice even at more casual events. I do not consider myself overdressed - just "put together". Honestly, I don't understand how some people go out looking like they do, but we are all different.

Regular Contributor

People go out looking like they do because they don't know any better...haven't learned what to do growing up...pure and simple,
Esteemed Contributor

You go, girl ! I'm 69 and right there with you. Even to the grocery store, I dress nicely, do my hair, fix my makeup. I find it hard to believe that people would actually say that to you. Consider the source, I guess, and keep on truckin' !! Wink

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

On 2/12/2014 namealreadytaken said:

I think some feel dressing well is seeking special attention, which they feel undeserved. We are becoming a caste system where those who have worked hard to have, to keep our homes up, drive cars that do not smoke, pay our bills, bathe and groom are looked on as "biased," expected to turn over what we have to those who refuse to work.

I recently presented to an urgent care center, having left a club luncheon early (I was dressed for the occasion) because I became short of breath, dizzy and having blurry double vision, so I drove to the nearest urgent care.

I said nothing, signed the register. There were about 70-80 people in the waiting area, many of whom looked (and smelled) unkempt. A nurse came out quickly with a wheelchair, stated she noted on a video monitor I was in acute respiratory distress. As I was being placed in the wheelchair, I heard a man say, "look, she was all dolled up and they took her right away."

I heard the whispering and snickering from others as we left the room. Socioeconomic politics is pitting the hardworking have's against the nonworking have-not's. It's where we are unfortunately. No one knew or cared that I had spent the morning before the luncheon raising money for underprivileged children's library. It did not matter. I was "dolled up."

There are many hard working have-not's. That man was judging you for the way you were dressed, just as you were judging the have-nots.

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

if you look good, you feel good.....I know I never leave the house without my hair fixed and my makeup on....I always have on a nice pair of jeans or slacks and a nice shirt or top...I do wear less jewelry than before I retired but always earrings, etc. I never feel as productive or as presentable if I am schlepping around in sweats or t shirts.....I save that for the house and not all day...... I also think the older you are, the more "polished" you need to look; very young women can get away with a baseball cap and a pair of yoga pants to run into the grocery store.....those of us who are older just look homeless in that outfit!

Respected Contributor

On 2/12/2014 EGW said:

I was able to leave the work force at 51. Many in my peer group still are in the workforce. I have found that those kind of comments are a shot more at the fact that they are working and you are not versus a wardrobe comment. I have heard comments like: Aren't you bored? Whatever do you do with yourself all day? I heard about a job, are you interested? Are you REALLY going to stay out of the workforce? Oh, you look nice, are you working again? The list goes on and on.

EGW, I retired early and I've lived through the exact same experiences you mentioned. It cracks me up every time. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Anyway...

I shop, therefore I am. I've loved clothes and fashion all my life. It doesn't stop if I retire.

If anyone asked me why I bother dressing up while out and about, I'd probably look at them as though they're speaking Portuguese and continue on my way.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Super Contributor

Nothing wrong with you ! I stopped working full-time @ 49. My friends ask what I do all day ? I love makeup, hair and fashions still. Does working as a women really define us ?? I now work part-time again, not great out there. Its not in corporate America so I can wear jeans and nice top. But, I am always looks for clothes.