Honored Contributor

Donna Karan's Line Being Sold

According to this article in the NY Post, Donna Karan's "money-losing line" is being sold.  "French luxury group LVMH is dumping its money-losing Donna Karan International division, selling it to New York-based G-III Apparel, which is known for scooping up “businesses that are being abandoned in the marketplace,” as G-III Apparel Chief Executive... .

http://nypost.com/2016/07/25/lvmh-sells-money-losing-line-donna-karan-to-g-iii-apparel/

Honored Contributor

Re: Donna Karan's Line Being Sold

[ Edited ]

The fashion world is volitile these days.  She basically stopped hands-on designing her line over 10 years ago, and stepped down as CEO last year.  I wonder which direction the brand will go now; how long will HSN hang onto the brand, I wonder.

Esteemed Contributor

LVMH owns a lot of luxury brands and it's business as usual for them to buy and sell luxury brands. They are getting more than 600 million dollars for the sale of the Donna Karan line.

It's also musical chairs as the creative directors get fired or leave all of these luxury brands as these fashion brands want to make more and more money as the fashion cycles speed up faster and faster. 

The Business of Fashion blog covers these news stories pretty well.

Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

LVMH owns a lot of luxury brands and it's business as usual for them to buy and sell luxury brands. They are getting more than 600 million dollars for the sale of the Donna Karan line.

It's also musical chairs as the creative directors get fired or leave all of these luxury brands as these fashion brands want to make more and more money as the fashion cycles speed up faster and faster. 

The Business of Fashion blog covers these news stories pretty well.

The article whose link I posted was perfectly sufficient for me.

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

The fashion world is volitile these days.  She basically stopped hands-on designing her line over 10 years ago, and stepped down as CEO last year.  I wonder which direction the brand will go now; how long will HSN hang onto the brand, I wonder.

As an aside, I purchased a DKNY handbag from HSN a few years back.  I waited and waited for a clearance price and then snagged it.  When it arrived, it had a hang tag on it with a price, just like you would see at a dept. store but the tag said "for sale on HSN."  It made me wonder if the merchandise was being made specifically for HSN. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

As an aside, I purchased a DKNY handbag from HSN a few years back.  I waited and waited for a clearance price and then snagged it.  When it arrived, it had a hang tag on it with a price, just like you would see at a dept. store but the tag said "for sale on HSN."  It made me wonder if the merchandise was being made specifically for HSN. 

probably,  I agree that fashion lines make goods to fill different slots of the market.

do we want to make a bet that a DK line may appear here soon

Honored Contributor

Look at Ellen Tracy and Dana Buchman they used to be designer fashion geared to working executive women.  Now they are at kohl's and Off 5th.

Fashion is very fluid, times changed and the business changed. 

Honored Contributor

Replying to own post

the DKNY line hasn't really changed that much either, I sort of glance at it when i go to Bloomigdales but it looks the same as it has for years.  Plus it runs huge so I can't wear it anyway. 

Honored Contributor

isn't G-III the company that does a few of the home shopping fashion lines like Nene's and Guilina's?

or is that another company.

I got the email from BoF but didnt bother reading

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jackthebear wrote:

isn't G-III the company that does a few of the home shopping fashion lines like Nene's and Guilina's?

or is that another company.

I got the email from BoF but didnt bother reading

No.  For the life of me I cannot remember the name but I believe Ginny Hilfiger owns it.  The name is on the tip of my tongue.  The company does a ton of celeb clothing lines.

ETA:  Just thought of it.  It's Tiger J.  I know they do G's line.  They showed her meeting with them on her reality show.