Respected Contributor

Does this make sense to you?

I work with a woman who is one of the most negetive, toxic women I have ever met in my life.  I avoid her as much as possible (we are in a core team of about 15-20 people) and this works fine for me.

She received a gift from a family member recently, a poncho. She wore it to work to show it off and low and behold, I have the same one!!  I had mine for well over a year now, but never wore it to this account as I was just recently assigned here.

It is quite a statement piece so it is memorable.  It is not her traditional style, she never would have bought it for herself and she admits this.

Now I will not, can not wear my poncho to work!

I can not imagine being noted for wearing the same item she has.  I will it out and about so I will use it and enjoy it......

My husband thinks I am nuts, but I can not get past this.

What would you do?

Honored Contributor

Re: Does this make sense to you?

I would wear whatever I want to that makes me happy and is appropriate for my work environment and not against any dress code, if there is one.  I don't give a whit what other people are wearing, even if it's the same piece I am and even on the same day.

I am an individual. I wear what I want. Who cares what anyone else is wearing.   I would have graciously said to her, "oh, I have the same poncho. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine" and wear it to your heart's content.  I can't believe you are so influenced by other people on something so trivial as a piece of clothing.

I like your hubby!

Regular Contributor

I get it and I'm with you.  I would not wear mine to work either because I wouldn't want to "match" someone who is a toxic personality.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl

On the one hand I think where what you want.  On the other hand, since this woman is such a negative nelly she will probably say you are copying her.  Or worse, you will have something in common and she may start talking to you. 

Trust your gut.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

If you are letting her stop you from wearing a piece of clothing you love, then you have let her win. That seems like a terrible thing. Don't let it happen.

Honored Contributor

I agree with hubby, wear your poncho!

Image result for go for it  smiley image

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with you, you know what works best for your situation. (Not a competition)

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl

I completely understand your hesitation to wear it and it all has to do with your relationship.

I've had that happen to me but the women who went out and bought something I owned or wore a combination because they saw it on me first were quite open about it and I've always taken it as a complement...

Respected Contributor

regardless of the kind of person she is i would compliment her on the poncho and tell her hey, i have the same one for over a year now.  great minds think alike.

i agree that it would not stop me from wearing mine.  i would not allow a person to dictate what i wear and do not wear.   

Respected Contributor

I would wear it anyway.  Her reaction should be interesting.

One winter, a co-worker and I unknowingly bought the same down coat.  No problems with either of us.  But we did like each other.