Valued Contributor

Does anyone order from Talbots?

I got an email yesterday and there are some shirts I really liked but not sure how the sizing goes. I usually wear a 10 in a shirt. I have a couple of Logo tops and have to get small in those because they seem to run big. Wondered if a small in Talbots would be big enough.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Does anyone order from Talbots?

I think you would need a medium.  It also depends on what type shirt you are talking about.  I believe Logo sizing is larger than B&M stores.  Did you check the sizing chart?

Honored Contributor

If you wear a 10 in a shirt, you would need a medium from Talbots.  I wear an 8 in a shirt and wear a small or medium from Talbots.  I like Talbots but don't purchase from there a lot.  I have both sizes though.  According to Talbots size chart, an 8-10 is a medium.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Most of my clothes are from Talbot's. Based on what you wrote, I'd definitely go for the medium. By the way, if you are a petite, Talbot's run a size smaller all around compared to their regular sizes. I am an 8-10 on top but sometimes I have to take a petite large because of the discrepancy between their regular and petite sizes. I wish they didn't do that but that's been the way they've cut their petites from the beginning. 

Respected Contributor

I buy a lot from Talbots and frequently their tops run small.  I would stay with the medium.

Honored Contributor

Most Talbot's shirts are numerically sized, so she may be interested in whether she should get a ten.  I wear a ten also and find that Talbot's clothing in general runs small.  I do take a medium in their shirts but sometimes in the numeric sizes I size up to a 12.  Is there a store near you where you could try things on?   I think Talbot's clothes run funky in sizing.  And I can't buy pants at all from there.    

In sweaters I usually go up to a large, even though in most clothing brands I'm a medium.  And then there's the petites at Talbots too.  Sometimes I'm between a medium and a large in a regular, but then the petite large fits.   Their sizing is very tiring to me and I can't say that I ever get much that is cut to fit me exactly right. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee

Thank you for such good input on Talbot's sizing. I have a friend who has tried the side zip ankle pants from Talbots and just raves about the quality and fit. But I have a really hard time w/ buying pants on line from anyone. Your input leads me to believe I would probably be unhappy ordering pants on line from Talbots. Probably need to wander to a an actual store. Smiley Happy

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Valued Contributor

Thanks so much for the replies. I think Medium is what I need. I've never ordered from them before but they have some really good prices right now on some sale items so thought I'd give them a try. My wardrobe is so sad, everything I have is pretty much black. I see people out and around that look so put together and I just can't seem to do anything except a t shirt and jeans

Respected Contributor

I agree with the concensus here. It sounds like you would need a medium.

I'm almost always a small at Talbots. But lately, their tees have been more fitted and tighter than I like to wear, and longer. So I've switched to petite medium, for tees only. For sweaters and shirts/blouses, I buy size small.

Since things are always changing in retail, it can help to go into a store and try things on. I still do this occassionally even though I do most shopping online.

The sales people at Talbots aren't pushy, in my experience. Also, you can use the store phone to make a catalog order and get free shipping. 

Respected Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:

@Pearlee

Thank you for such good input on Talbot's sizing. I have a friend who has tried the side zip ankle pants from Talbots and just raves about the quality and fit. But I have a really hard time w/ buying pants on line from anyone. Your input leads me to believe I would probably be unhappy ordering pants on line from Talbots. Probably need to wander to a an actual store. Smiley Happy

@kate2357 I've had great difficulty ordering pants online over the years from Talbots. They did actually refit their pants several years ago at which point business really dropped. They have now tweaked it again bringing it more in line with the general fit found everywhere. I still can't order online using their sizing charts. I should wear a six in a pant, but I need a four. I went in once to return 4 pairs that everyone raved about and was told that you really should go into the store to try the things on, then  order online once you've figured out what fits. I wear an xs or small in LOGO, but need an 8  in a blouse, and usually a small in knit tops or xs in coats in Talbots. I lean away from them at this point because of limited selection in stores to try on. I find their fit less forgiving than a QVC brand, but a finer fit if you can get it right.