Respected Contributor

No, but I know why some people do. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

yes .  i have control of the medium and it is a tool for creating interesting images!  and if it doesn't come out right it gets deleted ! 

i do not understand the narcissism ? why wait for someone else to be available to take a snapshot!  most folks can't pose their subjects correctly and you end up with your legs chopped off and a lamp post growing out of your head!

admittedly i am creative and love art/photography.   i have taken selfies from the days of 35mm slr film cameras and before that 21/4 x 21/4 Nikons. we also used polaroid cameras then to get the pose and lighting correct.

take a look at Cindy Sherman's work - she was the original selfie artist!

http://www.moma.org/interactives/exhibitions/2012/cindysherman/gallery/2/#/24/untitled-film-still-62...

Yes, your selfies serve a purpose but not really selfies being of yourself....you are describing artistic use of an image. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you take selfies??

[ Edited ]

@Greenhouse wrote:

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

yes .  i have control of the medium and it is a tool for creating interesting images!  and if it doesn't come out right it gets deleted ! 

i do not understand the narcissism ? why wait for someone else to be available to take a snapshot!  most folks can't pose their subjects correctly and you end up with your legs chopped off and a lamp post growing out of your head!

admittedly i am creative and love art/photography.   i have taken selfies from the days of 35mm slr film cameras and before that 21/4 x 21/4 Nikons. we also used polaroid cameras then to get the pose and lighting correct.

http://www.moma.org/interactives/exhibitions/2012/cindysherman/gallery/2/#/24/untitled-film-still-62...

Yes, your selfies serve a purpose but not really selfies being of yourself....you are describing artistic use of an image. 

That's true...but its still a self-portrait, or a more popular term, selfie.

How one perceives that image is an emotion placed on that image.  

I would never say it's narcissistic....that's an emotion you placed on my image.  

One would say many paintings of the great masters are the original selfies!  

Its just a self-portrait in a different medium.

@CatsyCline I love the technology....the filters we have available these days makes simple, no-makeup-wet-hair images into VERY arty images!  It's so much fun to play with an image!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have never taken a selfie and just shake my head when I see people do it. I was recently on a flight where a lady kept taking pictures of herself sitting in the plane. I couldn't figure out why she would do that. She would take one with a big smile on her face, then another one with a laugh on her face, then one with a smirk, another one with a seductive look, etc. She was probably in her 50's from what I could tell. Even if she wanted to send it to someone, why would they want a picture of her sitting in a plane?

It does seem to me that it is a self-centered act; however, some of the posts I read make sense......they want to preserve a great time they had with others. I'm used to people asking me to take their camera to get their picture taken together or in front of some special place or monument they are visiting. That makes sense to me. But a picture of me sitting on a plane? Hmmmmmmm.......

But like another poster here, I'm not into Facebook, Twitter or any of the social medias. I value my privacy. Seems like there is too much information given out about things that should be kept between spouses or family members. That's probably why I like to watch Downton Abbey and other programs that show a time when there was decorum. (Yes, I know, there are some moments when the younger ones on that program are not so discreet!) Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Greenhouse wrote:

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

well, they are images of myself.  this is strictly for my own amusement. i am creative and see things differently i suppose.  anything creative can jumpstart MORE creative sparks! funny how that works.

try taking a selfie sometime!!  no one but you will know !! 

Contributor

Yes.  While I'm not an artist or even a reasonable facsimile of a photographer, I like remembering how I put an outfit together and will take the occasional "selfie."  I honestly don't see myself as narcissistic, just a lover of fashion, and I look forward to Lisa Robertson's "self-portraits."   Certainly, I am not comparing Ms. Robertson to a Van Gogh or a Rembrandt, as their "selfies" have different purposes, but why assume the practice derives from vanity? 

Honored Contributor

I've done it a couple times.

Honored Contributor

Isn't there a difference between a selfie that you post or share publicly and one you take only for yourself?

I never post pictures of myself but I've taken pictures of myself in the mirror since, gosh, the late 60s when I used to wear my hair like Diana Rigg in "The Avengers" and took a picture of myself in the mirror and I was so tickled when the photo came out because I did actually kind of look like her character, Mrs. Peel (pursed lips and everything!)

No one ever got to see it, however, just me.

I still take pictures of me in the mirror every few years (not every day!)     (I'm always ahead of my time.)   

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Frequent Contributor
Oh honey, I don't even like to catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror - so no!
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

Isn't there a difference between a selfie that you post or share publicly and one you take only for yourself?

I never post pictures of myself but I've taken pictures of myself in the mirror since, gosh, the late 60s when I used to wear my hair like Diana Rigg in "The Avengers" and took a picture of myself in the mirror and I was so tickled when the photo came out because I did actually kind of look like her character, Mrs. Peel (pursed lips and everything!)

No one ever got to see it, however, just me.

I still take pictures of me in the mirror every few years (not every day!)     (I'm always ahead of my time.)   

Oh, I already like you! Diana Rigg's version of Mrs. Peel was absolutely the best! What a classy lady. When I grow up, I want to be her! ha!