Honored Contributor

Do you have "spending rules" for buying clothing, shoes and accessories?

Yesterday I was in Talbots to check out a "clearance" dress I saw online. It was now priced at $99, but I wasn't sure about the fabric since it is dry clean only. While in Talbots I found a lovely plaid (wool) 3/4 sleeve swing coat that caught my eye. The BF and I discussed it, and he said "I wouldn't pay that much for that...". I buy what I like, what I will wear often or will wear for many years, and what fits well or is flattering. Then I started thinking about "rules" that he grew up with, and what "rules" we both use as adults when shopping.

For example, I wouldn't bat an eye at paying $100 for a pair of Birkenstock clogs. I wear Birkenstocks 85% of the time (or more) because I stand all day at work and I want to take care of the only pair of feet I have.

I would not, however, spend $100 on a cashmere sweater, high heels, or a pair of jeans.

if I were to spend $60, I would not buy Spanx, but I would buy a tailored jacket. I would also not spend $60 on a bra. I would spend $60 on a great bathrobe.

I could spend $200 for the right winter coat or a great suit, but I would never spend $200 on a handbag.

What about you? Do you have "rules" about how much you spend for certain items, or do you just buy what you like?