Esteemed Contributor

Do you have clothes you just can't part with?

I have a few items in the back of my closet that I never wear, never will wear again, but still love from years passed.   Every time I clean the closets I tell myself I'm going to donate them, but then I don't.    Do you have pieces of clothing like that?  What are they?

For instance,  I have a yellow linen jacket I bought at a big flea market on vacation in Calif. over 30 years ago.  It was a wonderful trip and a fun day for us.  Every time I see that yellow jacket, the memories come back.  So I put that jacket in the donation bag, and then I pull it out and hang it back in the closet.  I'll never wear it again, but I can't let it go.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have clothes you just can't part with?

My husband has 2 closets that need to be cleaned out and pitched.

Man, is a hoarder LOL

Esteemed Contributor

yes, to a fault.

Respected Contributor

Yes, there are a few things I can't part with.  I know I will never wear them again, but there are good memories attached to those items.

Honored Contributor

@hopi wrote:

yes, to a fault.

Me too @hopi.

"To each their own, in all things".
Regular Contributor

OK...advice that I've not been able to follow myself (you should see my "forever pile") but here goes.........

There was a book a couple years ago by Marie Kondo (I think that's the spelling) who said "it's the memories associated with the thing...not the thing itself.  So take a picture of it, put the picture in a memory album and write down your memories/impressions/feelings from that memory.  Then bless and thank the thing for the pleasure it gave you, and set it free.  You will still have the memories of it in a far easier form, and perhaps your favorite thing will go on to give someone else joy."  (Paraphrasing as best as I can remember.)

Valued Contributor

I have a navy marled sweater, crew neck, long sleeves, and about 36" long.  It is about 35 years old.  I bought it while in Ocean City on vacation with my family.  It was the only vacation my parents ever took with us as adults.  I left my children with DH & Grandpa and spent the day shopping & lunching with my mom. 

Every time I think to pitch it, I just can't, and manage to wear it at least once every winter.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I have a wool coat...a friend of mine from the past ...bought for me from Lands End....its beautiful...unfortunately I outgrew it years ago...and probably will never be able to wear it...but I can't part with it...

Honored Contributor

Yes, I used to have to go to a few elegant affairs when I had a different job.  I have some very beautiful formal and semi-formal outfits.  I switched jobs nearly 10 years ago and have no need for those anymore.  They would even be over-dressing for the weddings and holiday parties I've been to over the years.  I cannot bring myself to consign them or give them away though.

Respected Contributor

I have many, especially my leather things that I will probably wear again, so they stay. One thing I probably never will wear again is the dress I made to wear to my younger daughter's wedding. That stays too.