Respected Contributor

Do you Knit or Crochet?

[ Edited ]

I'm going to take a class at the library.  Isn't knitting better than crocheting in that I can make more things?

??? Opinions appreciated ...

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Frequent Visitor

I crochet & have made many things throughout the years since my grandmother taught me when I was a little girl. I love making new things but I've got arthritis & carpal tunnel syndrome which makes it hard to do for long periods of time unfortunately. I don't believe that you can make more things with knitting... just a different way of making them! Have fun & enjoy your new creations!!

Honored Contributor

I can crochet the world's longest chain, but that's about it.  I have made cat toys by using three or four types of yarn and crocheting a super thick (and long) chain to attach their toys to.  As for fashion, no- unless you wanted a super thin eternity scarf!

Respected Contributor
I have made many garments with both knitting and crocheting.....both fun to do. I think it's especially fun to have a project going in the fall and winter. Have fun (:
Respected Contributor

Hi ~ I can't knit a stitch, but I can crochet up as storm.  I make Afghans.  Christmas before last I made an Afghan for each of my Children and their significant others.  I started in January, and had 9 made by November.  They didn't know I was doing it, so I laid them all out on Christmas Eve, and let them pick their favorite color.

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

I knit, neither is better,

If you like knitting, I recommend you join Ravelry.com.

It is a wonderful resource for knitters, info on patterns, yarns, wonderful forums on anything.

If you see a pattern you can look it up and see who has made it which yarns and pictures,

Respected Contributor

My mother had the gift of crocheting; one of my four sisters has it as well.

Me--no. If I had to choose between knitting and crocheting, though, I would choose the former.

Trusted Contributor

You can make the same items (mostly) it's just that the techniques and stitch results are different.

I can knit and I enjoy it. But I can't crochet my way out of a paper bag, and that's with many lessons.

Why not try both and see which you prefer? They can both be very rewarding. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

My Grandmother taught me to crochet when I was a girl,  you can make the same things knitting or crocheting.   It is all about your preference.   Have fun and see which becomes your favorite.   I know how to knit but it is a little more complicated being my Grandma taught me to crochet.   You name it and my Grandma crocheted it.   

Respected Contributor

when i was young, i tried both knitting and crocheting.    the knitting just did not feel comfortable to me.   some people can do both, but experience tells me that most people pick one or the other ... just because it seems to feel like a more comfortable experience for them.  

mostly, i crochet blankets.  for many years, they were donated to a vetrans home.  then for a long period, i did not crochet at all.

recently, i had to crochet a baby blanket.  after so many years of not doing any crochet ... it felt so GOOD.  so i did another one!   then after that, i thought what should i do now?   well, i have three children ... and NO grandchildren.  (YET) ... but it is my hope that one day i will have a grand baby or two.   so i am just crocheting baby blankets and tucking them away.  YAY !! 

i hope that you find knitting, or crocheting to be as enjoyable as i do, and i hope that you'll come back and tell us about your experiences!