Super Contributor

Re: Do QVC Vendors 'Comp' Samples to Forum Members?

if so, count me in, too!
:-)
Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:
About a year ago, the Beauty forum would be buzzing with posters saying they got freebies or know of someone who got freebies of TSVs before they launched. All were extremely positive and encouraging posters to order. I recall one poster in particular who identified herself as a YouTube blogger, and she posted links to her YouTube blog. I mainly saw this for IT Cosmetics. I haven't paid much attention to those threads lately, so I don't know if they continue to send out freebies. Personally, I felt it wasn't fair to send out free samples to a select group, and I thought it was somewhat annoying to have the ones who received freebies to come here in the Community to promote the products--even if there was disclosure.

ITA. I think it taints the review process completely, especially if it isn't disclosed. Customers rely on unbiased reviews when considering whether or not to buy something. But, if I know someone has gotten free product & posts a positive review, I'll consider the reviewer as someone who is potentially biased. I'd like to have transparency about the reviewer in order to make good buying decisions.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Suzeecat wrote:

Serious Skin Care sends samples of new products out to customers before a launch.  I used to get them, but haven't in a while.  I'm not sure how to get on their list anymore.

I remember this and I think they still do it.  Then some of those who rec'd the freebies would call in during a show to talk about the product.  I don't know how you sign up for that either.

I remember the Hot in Hollywood rep on HSN used to send items to people too who would photograph themselves wearing the item and Lori would show the photos during her HSN visit and again, those women would call in and talk about the item.

5ish yrs ago I would receive  SSC products during the launches - and would call in and comment. It went on for about a year. Most items were really good (replicate and renew especially) - but I was honest with a few klunkers. No more freebies for a good long time now! 

Honored Contributor

The "samples" of SSC were a joke.  It was a small packet or two.  I used to get them, and they were not even enough for 2 uses.  I've never received any full sized product from SSC or any other vendor other than at a Beauty Bash.

I usually tossed the tiny SSC packet.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor

If this is an accepted retail practice to build or retain customer loyalty, I for one would prefer and respond better to quality, well made clothing.  Attempting to influence me into giving a good or better review by comping clothing suggests you don't believe in your product IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

The "samples" of SSC were a joke.  It was a small packet or two.  I used to get them, and they were not even enough for 2 uses.  I've never received any full sized product from SSC or any other vendor other than at a Beauty Bash.

The beauty bash...  Woman Sad how  I miss that event!!! 

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

The beauty bash...  Woman Sad how  I miss that event!!! 

OMGosh Ibb so do I!  The loot I got...Unbelievable!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor

To be clear: I have NEVER heard of a Linea customer receiving a comp from Linea.  NEVER!  And I know virtually all of us who go back with Louis and Jac for a long, long time.  Jac is the only person who will test drive a new Linea piece, as Louis frequently posts on his blog.

Let's lay to rest this RUMOR immediately!  It is designed to hurt and is completely unfounded.

Trusted Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:
Any person who is in contact with any vendor on a more personal basis and, as a result, receives discounts or freebies should absolutely be disclosing that and IMHO should not be posting about that vendor's products and most certainly not writing reviews for any of that vendor's products. It taints the entire review.

Yes, and atempted rumor mongering and pure speculation corrupts the process and damages individuals.

Esteemed Contributor

I doubt that QVC vendors would give free samplies to QVC community members. Remember that QVC vendors aren't allowed to post on these boards. If the vendors have a facebook page or other social media page and give out free samples through those social media gateways like youtube or instagram, that's their business, it's just another form of marketing to me.

I was reading some Amazon reviews on a beauty product (Olay ProX cleansing tools and their microdermabrasion cleansing tools because I want to know if the brush heads for each unit are interchangeable (yes they are) and some of the reviewers on Amazon did get their stuff for free that they reviewed and it was disclosed in their reviews. I don't have a problem with them stating such.