Contributor

I purchased the Bob Mackie faux suade fringed jacket recently. It is lovely but I checked out Kohls online to see what they had and they had the same jacket for about $30 less. I do not understand this "designer" clothing concept when you can find the same thing in the stores. Now I need to decide if I am going to return and rebuy or just keep what I have and eat the balance. It is a very nice jacket.

Honored Contributor

The real question is "Is it the SAME jacket" or just the same style?  Because you like the jacket, I'd check things like the fabric, the zipper or buttons, the seaming, etc.  Sometimes designer doesn't mean the design is unique, but other aspects of the garment are.

You can almost always find "designer" style cheaper elsewhere - that's why the style magazines do so many designer versus store brand or off-brand pages.

I am not syaing the Mackie jacket is better; I never bought anything of his except a silk scarf.  But I would carry the jacket with me to Kohl's and do a comparison in place unless it's something I think I'd wear for only this season.  If that's true, I'd save a few dollars on it - even if you have to pay to return, you'd still be ahead $20 and you can't make that in a bank any year in the near future!

Honored Contributor

I doubt it's the same jacket.  I would think Bob Mackie has an exclusive contract with QVC for the line he brings there.  By the way, his clothes are extremely well made.

Respected Contributor

it depends what you're looking for and willing to accept.  the kohl's jacket probably doesn't have the same quality as the mackie and that's the decision you have to make.

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

The real question is "Is it the SAME jacket" or just the same style?  Because you like the jacket, I'd check things like the fabric, the zipper or buttons, the seaming, etc.  Sometimes designer doesn't mean the design is unique, but other aspects of the garment are.

You can almost always find "designer" style cheaper elsewhere - that's why the style magazines do so many designer versus store brand or off-brand pages.

I am not syaing the Mackie jacket is better; I never bought anything of his except a silk scarf.  But I would carry the jacket with me to Kohl's and do a comparison in place unless it's something I think I'd wear for only this season.  If that's true, I'd save a few dollars on it - even if you have to pay to return, you'd still be ahead $20 and you can't make that in a bank any year in the near future!

Yes, this reminds me of the posts saying that people found the "same" IM lace dress at Sam's Club (I think -- or Costco?) for much less when it was a TSV a while back. In fact, it was a similar dress -- not exactly the same -- and the difference in quality was obvious, according to those who had seen both. I have no idea about the Mackie jacket, but I agree that it requires some careful comparison and thought.

Contributor

Yes, I have been thinking lately to having maybe less in my closet but what I do have be it better quality in fabric, style, and fit. Sometimes less is more. Thank you all for the discussion.

Super Contributor

I would also compare them.  I've never had good luck with anything from Kohls other than Chaps. 

Occasional Contributor

I work in the headquarters of a large freight carrier and we haul HUNDREDS of trailers every month for Kohls. About 95% of their freight comes in on shipping  containers into Southern California and Miami from overseas. You can guess where it originates. 

Trusted Contributor

Its obviously the same style jacket but not by Bob Mackie.  As someone else posted, his line is exclusive for QVC.  I'm sure if you searched on google you can find the same style jacket in 30 different stores.   If something is trending then you will find a version of it by many brands.  You should be looking at quality, fabric, seaming, detail etc and not just the "style".  I'm sure that Bob's jacket is better quality than anything you would find at Kohls.

Honored Contributor

Ms P - unless you're a gal who really gets hung up on someone's name on the label, I'd be buying for less regardless the name of the store.  This is how I shop most of the time.

A designer label certainly does not mean the garment is better, made better, comes from the good old US of A.  And if this doesn't bother you, go for the one that costs you less.  MANY designers' goods come from China, Japan, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc.  This makes these garments for me a dime a dozen then charging us here 3,5, 10 times as much for what - because they had to ship them from overseas?  I'm sorry but I will  not buy into this.  It's totally ridiculous in my pocketbook.

Is Bob Mackie's good strictly made un the USA?  I cannot say unless I check his wears here, perhaps they are - ALL of what he brings here to the Q.  Yes, they may be exclusive to the Q but where else do you buy his goods?  Unless you're a BM exclusive purchaser, then you did good for yourself despite finding the same style for less elsewhere.

His jacket wasn't even REAL suede!