Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaners LOST belt to my Trechcoat

Do you have the original receipt?  Did it include the belt in the description?  My old family run dry cleaners doesn]'t give any receipt and it makes me nervous~!  I ask for one.  

However I would not let this go.... you've now given them plenty of time to find the belt. It's now time for THEM to stand up and make this right for you.... because of their negligence you have a coat you can no longer wear.  They need to come up with something.... if not, you may have to take this story to the local news channel and make a stink about it.....   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I am surprised you would dry clean a belt?

The belt was in the belt hooks.  

It never occured to me to remove the belt from the coat.

I just didn't think about it.  

I was running errands that day -- went into the closet, pulled the coat off the hanger and off I went.

What's amazing is, she wanted to charge me EXTRA because the coat had chocolate on the front, which she said was difficult to remove.

I was so livid, I was speechless!  

Let's see, you lose the belt to my trench coat, which can't be replaced and now you want to charge me extra for chocolate?

I feel like going over there with the coat on, and saying, "Hi, do you remember me?  Did you ever find my belt"?

I totally get it!  I once lost a belt at one of my offices--to one of my FAVORITE black trench coats.  It was one from HSN that was from the Patricia Field Line (Sex and the City). It was a darling black trench.  I, myself, lost the belt and I was so bummed.  I ended up buying another coat in a bigger size (my size was gone on HSN) JUST to have that belt.

I feel your pain though yours is worse as you did not lose it yourself!! That stinks!!!

BTW, I tried several other black belts from other coats and NONE worked!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

Do you have the original receipt?  Did it include the belt in the description?  My old family run dry cleaners doesn]'t give any receipt and it makes me nervous~!  I ask for one.  

No, I didn't keep the receipt because I brought the receipt in each time I came back.  However, the 3rd time  I returned (when she blamed me), she showed me the receipt and said, "see, no belt.  If the coat has a belt, we write belt on the ticket."

At that point the receipt was useless.

She'll remember me and the incident -- even without the receipt.

When I have time, I'm going back over there with the coat on!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina Please tell me that you're not using this place for any future cleaning!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

More than annoying to have something like that happen. Reminds me of the time when DH and I were out dancing at a club and someone stole the belt off a favorite black leather coat. I still wore it for years w/o the belt. Good luck with your experience.

Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@RinaRina Please tell me that you're not using this place for any future cleaning!

Never again!  The cleaners had been there for many years and was always busy, so I thought I'd give them a try.

That was the first time, and it will be the last.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Valued Contributor

@RinaRina  I'm sorry this happened to you.  So aggravating.  Reminds me of my dry cleaner story.  Same thing...our family had been using the same dry cleaner for over 10 years.  Following a rainy night of cheering at our h.s. football game, I took my cheer sweater to the dry cleaner.  Years ago we had fabric and chenille letters baste stitched onto the sweaters...the rain left some black coloring from the felt on the swater.  I asked if they could get the stains out.  I was assured it wouldn't be an issue.  When I went to pick it up to wear the next night for the football game, they couldn't find it.  Finally the manager came out and said, "oh, we threw it out...it fell apart".  Nice, huh? I hope you get more satisfaction than my parents did.  

Honored Contributor

I wonce had a beautiful wool suit I left with some other items in a cleaner's cold storage.  The next fall I went to pick up my items, got home and could find the suit.  They said I hadn't brought it in.  I had my reciept and they paid me for the cost of the suit.

The next year, my suit turned up; it was sent out with someone else's items!

I asked them how much they would like to sell it to me for, considering it was another year older!

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Ask to go through their lost and found.  I worked for a chain cleaners many years ago when I went back to school.  Each piece was counted and ticketed, that would include the trench coat belt and the sleeve belts, if there were any.  So a trench coat alone would have noted 4 pieces.  In spite of this "fool-proof" system, the lost and found was full of loose belts, etc.  Also items not picked up for years.  Ask for a belt off a similar coat if there is one.  They CAN fix this to your satisfaction if they try. 

@depglass    @RinaRina

That's what I was thinking ... you'd be amazed at the stuff that piles up in lost & found!

Esteemed Contributor

Go to a second hand store or thrift store and look for a similar trench coat belt. If the coat is black, do you have another black belt that you can use? If you have the coat name and model of the coat, try googling it to see if the coat is on ebay so you can buy it for the belt.